PDA

View Full Version : Hi. I'm hopeful

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums

Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

risingwind
Tue, Oct-08-02, 07:36
Hi. I'm 34, partnered with 3 step sons. I work full time as an IT systems manager. I also play ice hockey in the Cincinanti Women's program and ride with the Motor Maids women's motorcycling club.

About 6 years ago I gained relentlessly, 60 pounds in 6 months, then added another 15 pounds to round out to a full 255 pounds. I didn't think I was eating particualrly poorly, but I definitely was eating a lot: 4 servings of spaghetti for dinner then another 2-4 servings in the middle of the night when I would wake up starving. Then I switched to rice and tuna which is when my weight stabilized, but it wasn't going down after a year.

I've always believed that you loose weight by burning more than you take in, no diet plan needed, so I started eating even better. I bought a share of an organic farm and I really upped the workouts. Until about 10 weeks ago I was down to 224 pounds and 37% body fat then for the first time in years, I went nuts. I ate everything that didn't eat me first and hit 236 and 39%. Three and a half years of effort gone in 6 weeks. So I knew I needed to more agressively loose weight to avoid getting discouraged.

I read the Atkins book and thought that it may be worth trying. After 6 days I've lost 2 pounds. I still eat way more than I need to, I believe because I spend several hours a day bored. The Atkins science seems more foregiving for overeating since your body can't convert it to fat so I'm eagerly awaiting time to pass to see if it works for me. If nothing else it has pointed out some alternatives to things I was eating like drinking a cup of decaf instead of having dessert and filling up on bacon and eggs in the morning instead of a light breakfast and getting a huge cinnamon roll at coffee break. My energy has stayed good except for Saturday when I had less than 4 grams of carbs the whole day (blah!). I'm constipated beyond belief for the first time in my life, but that should work itself out with time and metamucil according to the book. My cycle is about to start too which can slow weight loss so I'm planning to do induction for 3 and half weeks instead of 2.

And as if the universe is telling me this is a good thing a friend just told me ther is a low carb beer on the market now, Michelob Ultra, with 2 grams per beer. I went to the store last night and it was sold out!

Take care.

lkonzelman
Tue, Oct-08-02, 08:33
Hi risingwind -

I'm in IT as well. Great field - hopefully stays good.

I understand where you are coming from... but two things:

Just keep sticking to it. When you are detoxed (took me 5 days) and in ketosis you won't be that hungry. Or if you are hungry the food we are allowed to eat even in induction will fill you up. I was ALWAYS hungry before this WOE. This really does work.

And sorry - but you really shouldn't have alcohol on induction it is allowed after induction but people have weight stalls even after induction with alcohol - just an fyi. I had 2 glasses of wine last Saturday and a perfect Atkins diet day (still under 20 grams) but felt all bloated the whole next day. And I haven't felt bloated one day on this diet until.

Hope you have a better experience. Oh, yea, you do get drunker much faster though.

Good luck to you. :wave:

LittleAnne
Tue, Oct-08-02, 12:05
Hi Risingwind and welcome to this forum. It certainly sounds as if you have a hectic life style with lots of exercise!

I hope that the next couple of weeks on induction works out for you and that the pounds start to fall away. You might find it helpful to keep a journal on this site. See the sticky at the top of the forum. I find mine a great motivator. Drop by and visit a few, it will give you an indication of what people get up to. I suggest that you also join Fitday.com (http://www.fitday.com) , if you have not already. This is a great site to record your food intake and it tells you at a glance how many calories, fat, carbs and protein grams you are having. Whilst keeping the carbs right, sometimes you have to watch the calories to. Too few and your body will not loose weight and far to many and again it has no need to loose weight as you supply it with enough free energy.

Every success.