PDA

View Full Version : New to CFS and LC

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums

Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Larissa
Thu, Oct-03-02, 22:05
I'm new to CFS and low carbing. Boy am I excited to see a forum just for CFS. I was diagnosed with CFS about 6 months ago. I started Atkins because I had hoped it would help me feel better. So far I've had disappointing results, sort of.

I have been on induction for 6 weeks now (man does time fly!), I don't have much of a problem with eating this way, I'm not a big eater anyway. My biggest problem was that I felt like I was eating too much. I felt stuffed all the time. I used to only eat once a day, at dinner. Never snacked much and dislike most sweets though cheesecake and ice cream are my weaknesses. I have a hard time getting the carbs count up to 20 some days.

I started at 144 and lost 4 pounds that first week but I've been fluxuating between 144 and 140 ever since. I'd like to lose the after baby belly but it isn't happening. I know I need exercise but with the CFS I can't seem to do it.

I have not gotten that energy burst that I keep hearing about, I wish :( I did feel better for a week or so but the CFS seems to have come back full force this week, I'm sooo tired! I need more energy, I have a 3 and 4 year old, I can't keep sleeping all day. Plus, this week has been a PMS type week with the mood swings.

So, what can I do? I'm taking a multi-vitamin, boitin, potassium, magnessium, One-A-Day Energy formula, fish oil and chromium picoliate. But, I don't know if I'm taking the right dosages, I'm only taking one a day of each. I get leg cramps every day, I know I'm supposed to take the potassium for them but the pills upset my stomach so I started taking ¼ teaspoon of Morton Lite salt instead.

I'm disappointed, mainly because I had high hopes for a miracle cure, I know, no such thing, but there's always hope, right? Anyway, I haven't felt a whole lot of difference since starting LC and I really want this to work, not a cure but a help.

Zuleikaa
Thu, Oct-10-02, 19:29
How are the leg cramps? Are you eating enough? Also remember that the protein you are eating is supposed to have some fat with it. Many people make the mistake of eating too lean.

Larissa
Sat, Oct-12-02, 14:13
Hey! I thought I scared everyone off. My legs still cramp but I take some salt and it eases up.

I have no problem eating fat, I've always thought the fat was the only reason to eat meat anyway ;) My husband gets grossed out watching what I eat, he is still eating Doritos and M&M's of course. I just have a problem eating enough. I use fitday and usually come up short in the calorie and carb count by the end of the day. Three meals a day is hard for me to do, I've never been hungry for more than one meal but I force myself to eat anyway.

I've been reading up on Candida and I think I need to get tested for it, I'd love to hear that my CFS is actually Candida.

doreen T
Thu, Oct-17-02, 10:47
hi Larissa,

It really is not helpful to your Fatigue, nor to your weight loss efforst to only eat once a day. Hypoglycemia is common among persons with CFS ... eating small meals at regular intervals is the one way to prevent the dips and swings in blood sugar and insulin, and the resulting mid-afternoon "crash". The meals can be more like "snacks", but the most important thing is the regularity of providing PROTEIN fuel for the body. Have a dozen eggs hard-boiled and ready to grab .. one egg with a little mayo or mustard is perfect. Or small cans of tuna or salmon. An ounce of natural cheese. A half-portion of a low-carb protein shake, made with water and a couple Tbsp heavy cream. These can be whipped up with a stick blender, or even shaken in a covered cup and are ready to consume in seconds.

A regular supply of protein is vital not just for fuel, but for tissue repair and the production of important neurohormones such as serotonin and dopamine, which play key roles in your fatigue levels. If you haven't consumed any protein to provide the building blocks for these functions when the body needs them ... it will turn to its own supply of proteins ... your muscles. This in turn just perpetuates the weakness and fatigue.

Here's a thought ... When you go on a long car trip, do you wait to fill the gas tank AFTER you get to your destination? Or do you fill up before you leave, and keep the tank topped up as you travel? ;)

AS well, if your CFS is indeed due to Candida yeast, the same principles apply. You need to eat smaller meals/snacks more frequently in order to provide the fuel and building blocks for healing.

Hope you're feeling better soon. :rose:

Doreen

colinjn
Tue, Oct-29-02, 09:56
Hi There,
I've found that Low carb eating has not helped get rid of my CFS. The cycles are still there. What this way of eating HAS done though is to make life a bit more pleasant. I can eat flavourful food without worrying about gaining weight, and also have a certain sustainable level of energy. It is just one more tool in living with, rather than curing this condition.

I know what you mean about hoping for the magic bullet. I think that those of us with chronic illness are the backbone of the alternative health industry. I don't know how many times I have said "This is the last time I'm trying a 'miracle' cure", only to find myself trying something else a few months later.

Through all the experimenting I have found that the low carb lifestyle is a keeper. Implementing it with CFS takes a little fine tuning. Our exercise for the day might be a trip down the hall during a low period, and then we have to always be conscious of not doing too much when the energy starts coming back. Controlled expansion of activity is quite the discipline. I find that the level of carb consumption can parallel activity. It is quite the dance! Good luck in finding what works for your body. (Doreen is right about the protein, bye the way. )

Colin