PDA

View Full Version : Greetings and thanks for the info

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums

Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

boltcatche
Sat, Sep-28-02, 22:42
Hi all,

Just wanted to drop a line to everyone that has entered the vast quantities of information that I have been searching through. The searchable database of past posts has answered all of my questions and led me to many things that I would have taken years to realize on my own.

I am 7 weeks or so into the Atkins plan and I am 30+ pounds down. I trained in a resort kitchen as a teen, so cooking has always been a passion. It was relatively easy to adapt our family eating to the low carb plan. If anything, we are eating better tasting foods, as we pay more attention to our menus and are preparing tasty quality foods instead of the “get it done quick” stuff that was easy to throw together. I have not looked into the recipe area yet, but I will be happy to add to it if my adaptations are not already present. I have been very pleasantly surprised by the tasty items that can be made low carb.

Anyway, thanks again for all of the past efforts.

Best wishes to all and if anyone is having trouble developing food ideas, let me know and I will post some of my favorites.

Nick

Karen
Sat, Sep-28-02, 22:54
Hi Nick!

Yep, it's a great way to cook and can be as simple or as complicated as you like it. I find it so much easier now that there is not always that nasty starch to worry about.

Congratulations for having your whole famil onto a better way to eat and live.

Since you've been poking around, you have probably seen the Kitchen Forum. You can start posting your "favourites" whenever you like! :D

Karen

boltcatche
Tue, Oct-01-02, 17:57
Hi all,

I want to add a special thanks to Trainerdan. I went in search of information on training, exercise and the possible addition of supplements to my Atkins routine and Trainerdan’s posts came up with every search.

This guy is a wealth of information and his posts have numerous links to documented sources. It is nice to read opinions and antidotal accounts. It is even better to be directed to detailed data.

At this point, it is clear that there is no single correct path to fitness and weight loss. I have always been more or less fit, able to hike and mountain bike and climb. Over the past 10 years or so, I slowly added weight despite a pretty steady outdoor routine. My low fat, high carb, eat very little red meat diet never worked, despite holding to 2000-2200 calories. When I saw Dr. Atkins on the Today show this summer, his message really hit home (any time someone is disrespected and trounced upon by NBC I pay more attention to what they are saying). By switching to a low carb, high fat, high protein 3000 or so calorie a day diet, I have dropped from a 42 waist to a 37 and currently I am currently 33# lighter.

Now for the big questions! I am losing weight and feeling great. Do I mess with success by tinkering with the diet? Do I try fewer calories? Add a thermogenic? Do I try adding an occasional glass of wine to my evening meal? There seems to be a great many variables and while I don’t want to appear ungrateful for my current successes, I have no objections to fine tuning this WOE.

Thanks again to everyone who has posted. I have learned far more here than I have from the books I have read.

Nick