PDA

View Full Version : Shepherd's Loaf in the breadmaker

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums

Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

rainny
Tue, Jun-05-01, 13:14
Has anyone done this? How did it turn out? I read Norma June's try at is!ha! Sorry Norma June!!! I was wondering if anyone else had been successful?
L:confused:RRAINE

doreen T
Tue, Jun-05-01, 13:47
hi Lorraine, I posted a response to this in the Lighter Side forum a while ago, guess you didn't get the chance to see it ... so I've copied it here... :)Originally posted by doreen T
Um, the general consensus is that Shepherd's Loaf must be made and risen manually and baked in the oven in a regular loaf pan. The lighter batter and two-step process can't be worked in a bread machine ... you'll just end up with a brick. It's not that difficult to do, since there's no kneading ... do try it, really yummy!

If you really want lowcarb machine-made bread, Kay has posted her own recipe, Final Bread (http://www.lowcarb.ca/recipes/bread116.html). I know Sharon and some others have made it with rave reviews. And it works out to 3.1 total carbs per slice. There's another bread machine recipe there too, Lo Carb Bread (http://www.lowcarb.ca/recipes/bread114.html) posted by atomhockeymomm .. :) .. it uses oat flour, and comes out to 4 carbs per slice.

Good luck, let us know how it turns out.

Doreen

tamarian
Tue, Jun-05-01, 13:55
Originally posted by doreen T
hi Lorraine, I posted a response to this in the Lighter Side forum a while ago, guess you didn't get the chance to see it ... so I've copied it here... :)

Actually, this was posted by Rainey a few minutes before your response there :)

Wa'il

doreen T
Tue, Jun-05-01, 14:08
Sorry for the duplication . I just wanted to be helpful, and didn't want the info. to be missed.

Doreen

tamarian
Tue, Jun-05-01, 16:56
Ooooh, that was a silly comment with a smiley. Anyone can duplicate whatever they want. Just thought the timing was funny/interesting, since Lorraine posted the question here before your answered it in lighter side! :)

Wa'il

rainny
Tue, Jun-05-01, 17:07
y'ALL ARE SO FUN!
L;)RRAINE

IslandGirl
Thu, Jun-07-01, 00:39
Nobody's mentioned my very tasty (ok I'm biased) rye bread recipe also posted in the Recipes section... and it works very nicely in a bread machine <grin!>

debbiedobson
Fri, Jun-08-01, 16:35
judi, i can't wait until i can eat enough carbs to try out some bread recipes. your rye bread recipe will be the first that i try! i love rye bread! hey, my personal poison is rye on the rocks! coincidence? i don't think so!! ;)

IslandGirl
Fri, Jun-08-01, 22:24
The rye is VERY LC, Deb, hope you can enjoy it soon! Check the count per slice (lots of flaxseed meal and plain whey protein...). Very filling because of the high good fats and protein counts. Makes a fine piece of toast (or haul it out of the baking gizmo, slice off the crustiest bit, slater it with butter... aaaarrrrggggghhhh).

I myself have FINALLY, 6 months after quitting smoking and wrestling a grizzly bear of a thrashed metabolism, gotten a good Induction rolling. At least it FEELS like it's going to work this time. I feel those Ketones dancing away in my cheeks !8-] somehow, tingly and warmish...

Had to haul out the (used to be loose!) reference jeans again and it looks like a month at least before I can wear them at all... <sigh>.

No bread at all for me (trigger, doncha know); I can't eat just one. Pity, eh?

How goes it out there in OntariariO? The DH, the decrepit dawg of 13.5 years and the old van of 17 years are braving the roads and driving to T.O. (slowly slowly) in July. Tips? Other than carry a spare tranny and axle?? LOL!

debbiedobson
Sat, Jun-09-01, 07:14
tell dh to stay off the highways in rush hour! ;)