PDA

View Full Version : Newbie with a couple of questions.

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums

Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Keebella
Fri, Sep-20-02, 13:12
Glad to be here! I've been on Atkins for about 2 months -- have lost 22 pounds and feel great! I have heard some things, though, about kidney problems on these LC diets, and wonder if anyone has anything to share, pro or con, concerning this.

VictoriaT
Fri, Sep-20-02, 14:49
Hi Keebella
Congrats on your loss!!!

If you go to the research and media watch threads you can find some things on that. Basically it is the ignorant low-fat-is-the-only-way to go poeple who are trying to scare others into thinking our kidneys are going to fall out.

Check it out.

Keep up your great work!
Vicki

lkonzelman
Thu, Sep-26-02, 10:14
That was my fear too. I really looked into it and it is mentioned in many articles but it is always a presumption or fear. I found nothing anywhere to substantiate this statement was true. No case studies, no people with the experience even.

So i'm now very happily on my ninth day of induction.

Good luck to you.

Talon
Thu, Sep-26-02, 11:08
Nope, no problems here. I've been LC'ing since January and my doctor even tested my old kidneys - in perfect working order. As was suggested, the research forum has a good bit of information in it. Bottom line: there is not scientific proof that LC eating will harm the kidney's.

Keebella
Thu, Sep-26-02, 11:25
Thanks for the info. That's the thing that I was most worried about. I did check out the research forum, and found it to be very helpful. My doctor is not thrilled about the diet, but she can't argue with the results!! My DH just had his blood work done (two months on the diet) and his BP, Cholesterol and Triglycerides are all way down, in addition to the 37 pounds he lost. She did say to make sure to drink lots of water. I haven't had my blood work done yet, but am sure that the results will be similar.

So . . . . . I think I'll stick with it and see what happens.