PDA

View Full Version : anti-oxidants

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums

Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

toughguy
Wed, Sep-18-02, 06:14
I am taking a product called AntiOxidant Power made by Super Nutrition. It has the ususal vitamin C, E, beta-carotene along with a high dose of B6, B12, folic acid. It also has the Co Q-10 and lipoic acid along with a ton of phyto-antioxidants.

I have been taking this supplement with my evening meal after my workout. I also take a regular mult-vitamin in the morning.

Before I started low carbing, I had alot of problems getting to sleep. After I started low carbing, my sleeping problems have improved 90%. Around the time I started to take this anti-oxidant pill (one week ago) I have been getting my insomnia back again. I can't be sure it is caused from this pill, but it is under suspicion.

Has anyone else had problems sleeping from a supplement such as this? Would it be wiser to take something like this in the am with my multi-vitamin and breakfast?

doreen T
Wed, Sep-18-02, 06:33
hi toughguy,

I can't think off-hand that there'd be a problem with the nutrients themselves ... but I notice this product is a powder. I wonder if there are carb ingredients or possible allergens used as fillers in the powder?? Things like fructose (crystalline fructose is highly refined from corn or ordinary table sugar), sucrose, dextrose, polydextrose or maltodextrin??

Doreen

toughguy
Wed, Sep-18-02, 12:06
Doreen,

Actually it is in pill form. Looks like a big vitamin without the coating.

doreen T
Wed, Sep-18-02, 12:40
I am taking a product called AntiOxidant Power made by Super Nutrition.Right. Obviously, I had not yet finished my morning cuppa, and brain not yet fully engaged :daze: :lol:

OK ... it's possible that there is a small amount of a carb substance used as filler, but not likely in significant amount. What about green tea? That would contribute some caffeine, and might be a problem if you're sensitive.

I did a Google search for antioxidants side effects, and really nothing is mentioned ... most of these nutrients are free of untoward effects taken at recommended doses. There may be side effects when taken at mega-doses. And a few sites mentioned the possibility of allergic reaction to some of the individual ingredients, especially the plant extracts (aka, phytonutrients).

I stumbled on an interesting article at CyclingTips.com (http://www.cptips.com/antiox.htm) that suggests there is no scientifically proven benefit for improved muscle recovery post workout (plenty of anecdotal evidence though) by taking antioxidants .. but that there "may be" longterm benefit with sustained usage. Meaning it's a cumulative thing, and not really dependent on taking the supplement at a specific time. So, you might consider taking the product earlier in the day to lessen the insomniac effect.

Doreen

toughguy
Wed, Sep-18-02, 15:59
Doreen,

Yes, I do see green tea extract 100mg under the phyto-antioxidants. I think I will experiment for a few days and take it first thing in the morning and see what happens. Thanks for your research, that was very kind of you. :D

Doug H
Fri, Sep-20-02, 19:18
I cycle in and out of insomnia while lo-carbing. Sometimes it's pretty severe, then it just goes away. Maybe this has nothing to do with the supplements? Maybe some overtraining?