PDA

View Full Version : Thrilled to be here

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums

Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Piglet-135
Fri, Sep-13-02, 18:21
Hello Board Members,

My husband I began Atkins on 19 Aug 02. He is 31 and has recently been diagnosed with Diabetes and I am 29 and was just put on Blood Pressure medicine. Those 2 things combined told us we had to do something. A woman that worked with my husband went LC over the summer (they are both teachers). When the new school year started, my husband said he passed her in the hall because he didn't even recognize her. Given that we decided to look into Atkins. I bought the book on a Sunday, read a good bit of it, decided to fully commit to it for the 1st 2 weeks and have decided to continue.

For me going LC was a non-event. I'm a BIG carb eater, but I barely missed it. The first two days I was a bit tired, but that was mostly from no caffine and 5am wake-ups. Never had a craving and was in ketosis on day 3. Still...in almost 4 weeks, I've only lost 6 LBS. 2 the first week, and the remaining 4 the next. Not a budge on the scale or measuring tape since. I'm somewhat discouraged, but I feel so good and I'm not missing the carbs (but I AM hating having to cook all the time) so I'm going to keep going.

I was thrilled to find this board. I love the setup and the fact that there are mentors and advisors. I look forward to meeting others who are going through the same journey.

So to everyone out there --- HELLO! :wave:

wbahn
Fri, Sep-13-02, 19:36
Greetings and welcome aboard! :wave:

The rule of thumb that seems to apply to a large fraction of people is that you can expect to lose about 10% of what you need to lose sometime between the first two weeks and the first month. So you are right on track!

It is also VERY normal to lose weight in a rapid spurt in the first couple of weeks and then not lose anthing - or even gain a bit - in the next few weeks. This is normal and you are almost certainly still losing fat - but you are gaining muscle and/or your body is playing games with its water balance trying to find the proper levels for your new energy source. This takes time.

But if you are feeling great and not gaining ten pounds a week, stick to it and great things will happen soon.

Keep the Faith!

Piglet-135
Fri, Sep-13-02, 19:45
Thanks, WBahn. Doesn't everyone just want someone to tell them that they're normal? :)

Atkins' sells his WOE like you'll miraculously wake up one morning as a size 2. I'm glad to hear that this pace is in line with others. I've also seen other posts with the same story so I know I'm not alone.

wbahn
Fri, Sep-13-02, 19:54
Yep - that's a BIG criticism that I have with most of the LC authors. To be fair, Dr. A - and most of the others - do point out in several places the ups and downs and such but he really touts the positive stuff and that is what we remember (because that is what we want to hear). Alas, they are trying to sell LOTS of books and the more sensational and miraculous you make things sound the more books you are going to sell. Doesn't mean I approve of it, though.