PDA

View Full Version : 28 year old freshman! Help

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums

Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

allison74
Wed, Sep-11-02, 12:14
I am going back to school in January :help: . Working toward a teaching degree in early childhood education. Anyone else in the same boat... A bit older and going back to school. I need some moral support for school and LC. Week 5 LCing.

slimchance
Wed, Sep-11-02, 22:43
And just when I thought I was the only 28 year old going back to school.... :D Actually, I don't turn 28 for another 9 days, but I'm a 1974 baby. ;)

I actually decided to go back to school 2 years ago and have been going year-round ever since. The LC thing is a struggle when you are not at home to prepare something when hunger strikes. :confused:

Planning is the key! :exclm:

If you have to take 15 minutes the night before to plan your day and what you are going to want to eat.

Take note of what is served around campus on a regular basis, for when you are in a bind. Often cafeterias will offer salads, and sometimes meat and vegetable meals, but don't count on it! Plan to bring your own meals...always eat a good breakfast at home so you are not ravenously hungry come lunch time. This will help to prevent you from eating anything just to cure the hunger. Carry LC snacks with you. I know the bars and such aren't the best thing, but in a bind they can be a life saver! :thup: A can of tuna is another alternative, or even canned oysters or anything quick and easy. Invest in a good cooler bag of some sort, as things like cheese and devilled eggs will need to stay cool. By preparing the night before, it will help to prevent you getting stuck.

Congrats on the 5 weeks so far, you must be feeling the difference now! :thup:

All the best,

KC :daze:

ps. try not to get sucked into too many nights out for drinks with your fellow classmates! :D beer=bulge

allison74
Thu, Sep-12-02, 18:45
I wish I had gone back 2 years ago. I would be half way thru. I waited for my youngest to get into Kindergarten. I vowed to never pay child care. lol So now I have free time with everyone in school . Probably too much free time.

Any tips on how to get thru the first semester. It has been a long time since I have been in a classroom.

slimchance
Thu, Sep-12-02, 23:21
Well, it's pretty strange at first because the people in your classes are so much younger than you, but I find now that I am older I am much more proactive than I was. I get involved, speak up in class, organize study groups,etc. The more you get involved the more you take it seriously, I find. :)

I have been going year round for 2 1/2 years now (3 summers, 2 full years), so I will be finished my first degree in April. I'm going to apply to all sorts of programs to see what I get into. My marks are pretty good, so hopefully I will be able to pick and choose. :)

It takes organization, and with kids I'm sure you know all about organization! :D Ask questions, go to study sessions, and if they have a study skills program there, I would definitely take advantage of that if you have been out of school for a number of years. It worked wonders for me! :thup:

All the best,

KC :wave: