PDA

View Full Version : diabetes

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums

Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

msorgen
Wed, Sep-11-02, 08:11
I am diabetic and I've read some of the posts written here. Most of it would probably send me into diabetic shock. Is there a diabetic plan out there for diabetics? :wave:

Rosebud
Wed, Sep-11-02, 08:42
Hi there Msorgen,

Most of it would probably send me into diabetic shock.

It's the other way around really! High carb diets are the ones which increase blood sugars. ;)

We have quite a few members here whose diabetes has improved dramatically since changing their eating to low carb.

Most low carb plans are good for diabetics, but Dr Bernstein's Diabetes Solution has been specifically written for diabetics. Dr Bernstein is an insulin dependent diabetic himself who reversed quite a lot of diabetes caused problems by switching to low carb.

[If you are insulin dependent, you are best to do this under the care of your doctor.]

All the best to you!

:rose:Rosebud:rose:

t.k.
Wed, Sep-11-02, 12:38
I am an insulin dependent diabetic and have been doing low carb for about 5 weeks now. My sugar were all over before I began but now they stay stabilized all day and night. My insulin requirements have gone down drastically. I no longer feel like I need to eat constantly and have had no low blood sugar episodes. I hope you have good luck low carbing!!

msorgen
Thu, Sep-12-02, 08:50
Perhaps I'm doing something terribly wrong.
As an example, a daily menu I consume consists of the following:
Post Shredded wheat, 2 coffees for breakfast. Lunch consists of a small salad with a can of tuna fish (no mayo). 2 fruits(peach, nectarine or apple). Two glasses of water. For dinner I have baked or broiled fish with a vegetable or sweet potato.
I normally average about 90-100 carbs a day.

t.k.
Thu, Sep-12-02, 10:45
I don't know which plan you are following. The plan I am doing is the Atkins plan and I only eat about 20-30 grams of carbs per day. A typical day consists of 2 egg and cheese omlette for breakfast, salad with tuna and mayo for lunch and grilled meat, veggies and salad for supper. I also have nuts of whipped cream for a snack before bed.
I don't know if this helps but good luck to you!!!

msorgen
Thu, Sep-12-02, 10:55
i tried the Atkins diet twice. The first time I ended up with Ketosis. The second time I ended up with diabetes. I stopped using it after that. I was told to go on a high fiber diet instead and thats what I'm following.

tigersue
Thu, Sep-12-02, 11:43
The Schzarbein Principle was developed by Dr. Diana Schwarzbein and Endocrinologist that started her practice working with type 2 diabetics. What ever plan you use you should work with it with your doctor so they can monitor your lab levels closely to see your progress and how you are doing.
Depending on the degree of insulinemia and how high your blood sugars are to control at this point could determine how much carbs you should have in a day. This is why it is so important to be following with a doctor because as your levels improve you will need to increase the carb intake and eventually need changes in the meds you currently take.
My dad is a type 2 diabetic and has been following this book to some degree and has had drastic improvements in his blood sugars and he is not perfect at following the plan so it can be done with out a great deal of effort.
Tanya