PDA

View Full Version : Elegant Broccoli Flan

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums

Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Angeline
Mon, Sep-09-02, 18:07
This is a fancy little side dish that is perfect for company but easy enough for everyday.

FLAN DE BROCCOLI

1 broccoli head
1/2 cup milk
1/2 cup heavy cream
2 eggs
Salt & Pepper

Separate the broccoli into flowerets, discard the stems. Cook 3 minutes in boiling water. Cool in cold water. Drain well. Process in a food processor or blender, the broccoli, milk and eggs, salt & pepper. When the mixture is smooth, add the heavy cream. Process just long enough to mix. Do not overprocess after adding cream-- it could separate.

Pour into 4 small greased ramekins. Place in shallow baking pan. Pour boiling water in the pan. Cover dishes with foil and cook in preheated oven at 300 F for 45 minutes.

Unmold directly into invididual plates.

Twinkle
Sun, Sep-22-02, 08:43
but insead of discarding the broccoli stalks, you can peel them and cut them into pieces to use as "dippers". Granted sometimes the bottom part of the stalk is too tough to do this but often, especially if the broccoli is very fresh, the stalks are tender once you remove the outside layer of "peeling". Also the stalks are a great source of fiber. Just a thought.

Angeline
Sun, Sep-22-02, 09:24
I personnally don't discard the stalks. I don't like waste. However they sometimes don't perfectly pure and make little chunks in the flan. I don't mind at all. If I made this as a side dish for compagny I might have omitted the stalks, but I might follow your advice instead.

It's really such a simple nice little side dish. Smooth, creamy and delicate tasting. I make it every week.

cajuda
Sat, Feb-26-05, 10:47
I've tried cooking broccoli every which way but still don't like it except in Broccoli-Cheese Soup and pureed quite well. I keep looking and trying recipes since I know broccoli's good for you. Stumbled upon this one. Unfortunately, I didn't have broccoli on hand but did have a small head of broccoflower (green cauliflower) and used that. I pureed the poor thing to death in the food processor, baked it in the water bath. It was quite good with a dollop of sour cream on top. So, told my DH he can start buying broccoli again and will only make this. Thanks. Saw a recipe for a Spinach Casserole prepared much the same way using a large casserole dish greased and lined with Parmesan Cheese. Lining your ramekins with Parmesan might be delish with your broccoli flan. I'm going to try that when broccoli goes on sale. Thanks again. Slowly and surely, my taste for veggies is expanding.