PDA

View Full Version : diet sodas

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums

Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

debsherrell
Thu, Mar-08-01, 12:20
Hi everyone. I am a relatively new low-carber in San Diego, California. I have a diet soda question. I have been following the CAD. It recommends that we exclude artificial sweeteners from our lives because they sometimes "trick" the body into thinking it has consumed sugars and signals the release of insulin. Do you all agree? I am feeling that the soda might help me through some of my desires for something a bit sweet.

I appreciate any advice anyone has.

Debbie

MDukes
Thu, Mar-08-01, 12:39
I have the same question. I don't drink the diet soda's too much because frankly I don't like them. But it is a nice switch from water. I too, have been doing CAD and progress has been slow. I did the Atkins diet for 2 weeks and lost 8lbs and then switched to the CAD diet and have only lost an additional 4lbs in 3.5 weeks. For someone who needs to lose about 68 more pounds, going this slow is discouraging.

Tinakaye
Thu, Mar-08-01, 19:14
Your not going to like my answer :( but it is a totally case by case situation. Some people can't have any at all because it stalls them. And some people can have them without slowing down there weight loss. So try and see which one of those people that you are :)

Mdukes, but you are losing weight consistantly and eating more of the foods you like right? Yes I do think that "most" people lose weight a bit faster on a plan like Dr Atkins Or PP rather then Cad. But its not a race and the important thing is that your losing weight and becoming more fit and healthy :)

Tinakaye
203/128/128
http://tinabelle.tripod.com/lowcarb.html

MDukes
Thu, Mar-08-01, 20:24
Thanks Tinakaye for your response!

Tinakaye
Fri, Mar-09-01, 09:42
Your welcome :) And keep posting so we can know how your doing!

Tinakaye
203/127/128
http://tinabelle.tripod.com/lowcarb.html

debsherrell
Fri, Mar-09-01, 10:41
Thank Mdukes and Tinakaye for your input. This is a long process and I'm just getting my feet wet. I've got 60 lbs. or so to lose, so am trying to find what works best for me, since I'm going to be at it a while. It appears that, for me, it will be a lifelong WOE.

Debbie

numberonewendy
Fri, Mar-09-01, 23:26
Hi Deb,

Well you wanna talk about diet pop, this is the lady to speak to...lol. Big time drinker of that stuff my girl, at least 8 glasses a day or more!

I started on Dr. Atkins Woe last Monday (first time ever doing this woe) and naturally being that we must drink tons and tons of water...whew. My diet coke addiction has been put on hold.

Funny enough though Deb, I feel no huge need for it at this moment! Course this came after the first day of my jaw feeling like it was pulling my face apart lol.

Just to explain that last comment, my first day on this woe I noticed my face around my jaw feeling stressed out. I remembered that when I have been on diets in my past and having to cut back on caffine, this is what happens and, when I quit smoking too (still a smoker, but thats another topic lol).

What I did the second day, as I noticed I wanted to have a diet pop in the evening was go out and buy diet coke, but decaffinated. Its working for me. I only drink maybe one to two glasses and thats in the evening only! Not bad eh! Man to get me to give up my pop was like pulling teeth from a bear in the past (wonder if thats hard...lol). I was never one for water but again, we get into these habits and must try to change them.

I find myself drinking all of this water with no problem...so far! Maybe by the third week or so, I may be singing a different tune lol.

Hope this helps some!

Wendy

numberonewendy
Fri, Mar-09-01, 23:31
Oh and I forgot to add, that even though I cut down on the diet pop but still tend to drink at least one to two in the evening I am dropping pounds. So I guess its up to you in trying this and seeing what happens for you.

Sorry got caught up on my diet coke addiction...pretty proud of myself that I have cut down on that.....now for the cereral habit! lol

Wendy

debsherrell
Mon, Mar-12-01, 10:17
Thanks for your input, Wendy. When I saw how much diet coke you consumed in the past, I felt that I didn't really have to give-up as much as I thought. I have been allowing myself one a day, at the end of work or during work, and that seems to keep me satisfied. I have tried to switch to the caffiene-free variety, to do as little damage as possible. I don't really notice the difference too much, unless I'm looking for a reason to complain, which I must admit, sometimes I do... I am trying very hard to consume the water that I should. Some days are better than others!!

Thanks again for your words of encouragement.
Debbie

littleluv
Tue, Mar-13-01, 22:17
You wanna talk addiction to soda, rumour has it, I was weaned on Pepsi. Is there a hereditary gene that can make a person addicted to PEPSI??? If so, I have it. I could drink at least a case of it alone in one week, and that was just what I comsumed at work (5 day work week) add to that what I would drink at home. I'd say it was roughly 10 cans a day. Then, back in October 99, I decided that something had to be done. So I started drinking diet coke. Well, I was just exchanging one thing for the other. When I started the Atkins WOL last April, I tried cutting out the soda cold turkey, and let me tell you, it was almost as bad as trying to quit smoking. The headaches were unbearable.

I haven't been able to cut them out completely, but I have cut down. I try to limit it to two cans a day. If I am having more I make sure it is the caffine free. Water in between and to spice things up I have a diet orange crush. (no caffine and made with splenda)

I haven't found that the caffine makes a difference for me and my weight loss, but I know that if I am in a stall, I cut it right out for a few days and just drink the water, and then some more water.

Hope this helps.

Littleluv

numberonewendy
Wed, Mar-14-01, 17:10
Isn't it something how one can get addicted to the diet pop....scary stuff. When I was a letter carrier before moving up here, it was nothing for me to have a diet coke at 5:30 am while putting up the mail. Yikes....but then I don't drink coffee and this is what I called my coffee......So I guess if it isn't pop, its coffee?

Wendy

littleluv
Wed, Mar-14-01, 18:07
soda...coffee...soda...coffee

I know what you mean, I say the same things.

It used to be nothing for me to have a glass of pepsi first thing in the morning.

Now it's either a protien shake or water.

The diet coke doesn't come until atleast 11:00am...then it's all down hill from there.

Littleluv