PDA

View Full Version : Thinking of going from Atkins to CAD...

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums

Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

cupiedoll
Thu, May-24-01, 01:10
Hi all,

I just read CAD (Carbohydrate Addicts Diet) and it sounds so appealing to me, especially the Reward Meal, that I am going to make the transition. Has anyone here done this with positive results? I've lost about 4 lbs on Atkins in the 3 weeks I've been on it, but I feel deprived and don't think I will last on this WOE for a lifetime. (The 4lbs came off in the first 2 weeks and nothing in the 3rd week. I've only got about 7 more to lose--probably why the scale won't budge!) I think, if CAD works, that I can do it for a lifetime though! It is also flexible enough that I can do it on my holiday to Portugal in June.

It just seems to good to be true, that I can eat "anything" in the reward meal, as long as it is kept to under an hour. I read the rationale about insulin release, but it still seems too good to be true.

Comments?

Karen

doreen T
Thu, May-24-01, 06:33
hi Karen,

There are a number of members here who are indeed having good success with CAD. You're less than 10 lbs from goal weight; good for you to recognize that lowcarbing needs to be a way of life for the rest of your life ... :) ... The Heller's "Healthy for Life" is based on their CAD program; perhaps your library might have a copy you can borrow. (Great recipes too)

Every person is different, but my thought is that if you are truly carb-addicted, then even the Reward Meal could pose a problem for triggering intense cravings, depending on one's food choices. Perhaps for most days, the carb-meal would consist of high fiber, complex carbs such as potatoes in their skins, pulses(legumes), whole meal bread, brown rice and the like ... maybe a fresh fruit-based dessert. And reserve the sweet goodies, and highly refined white flour treats, cakes etc for very infrequent occasions.

I have heard of some folks who choose to have the carb-meal at breakfast, rather than later in the day (insulin is known to be most sensitive after the night-long fast) ... this allows them to have whole grain breads, cereals, fruit etc to start the day, then choose lowcarb meats and vegetables for the rest of the day. The point is consistency though ... you must consume the carbs at the same time every day, within that one hour window.

Best of luck to you, and enjoy the holiday in Portugal. Wow, June isn't far off .. :D

Doreen

steff75tx
Thu, May-24-01, 07:58
Thank you soooo much for posting this question! I was logging in to ask the exact same thing. I've gotten serious again this week about the Atkins Diet and have lost another 3 pounds. But I feel the same as you, that I need the "reward meal" to make this a permanent wol.

Steph
Thu, May-24-01, 08:34
Hello, All!

We started our Lo-Carb WOL on Atkins and my husband and I both had good weight loss. But, because of having four small children -- the hassle of cooking two different meals and then juggling it in with our schedule got the best of us.

Our experience since changing over to CAD has been great! We've both continued to loose weight and can now sit down to ONE meal during the reward time with our children. Be careful during the Reward Meal though - be sure it's "BALANCED" like it says in the books. We've learned for best success to start the Reward Meal with a 2 or 3 cup salad. Then balance the REST of your meal out with 1/3 of LC veggies, 1/3 of protein and then the last 1/3 is the high carb veggies and ALSO the dessert. It is best if you do the dessert as a fruit (or even a cookie with a small dish of ice-cream) -- just be sure the dessert is not heavy in sugar or what have you. IT CAN TRIGGER YOU TO WANT MORE. AND, when you're done -- you're done. Don't lirk in the kitchen trying to fill up the entire hour in a binge. That's only cheating yourself. :D

HTH -- Steph in Mexico

cupiedoll
Thu, May-24-01, 08:49
Well I am on day 2 of CAD, after 3 weeks of Atkins. I am looking forward to my reward meal tonight, as it is the "jazz night" at a local restaurant. Ha, the restaurant has such bad service, I am not certain I will get a dessert within the hour time limit though!

I think the roughest part about CAD so far is that no snacks are allowed. I like to snack (which I guess is why I have weight to lose!)

:)
karen

Steph
Thu, May-24-01, 11:06
Karen,

After the 2-week entry plan on CAD you can choose between four different plans. (A-D) Snacks are allowed on CAD once you find out which of the four plans works best for you. Also, after you start "enjoying" those reward meals you'll probably find you won't really "need" snacks. We're following CAD too - - but I've heard that CALP is a little more updated. If you are where you can get a copy, it might help you more down the road.

Steph in Mexico :p

cupiedoll
Thu, May-24-01, 16:21
Steph

What is CALP? Sorry if I've missed the boat somewhere!

Karen

Steph
Thu, May-24-01, 16:28
CALP is the Carbohydrate Addict LifeSpan Program. It's an update of Carbohydrate Addicts Diet (CAD). Though CAD works for ALOT of people, the CALP has more "up-to-date" plan information. You just have to find the one that works best for you.

You can learn more about the different Carbohydrate Addicts Books written by Drs. Hellers at

www.CarbohydrateAddicts.com

Sorry about the confusion. Hope this helps. :rolleyes:

lil' annie
Sun, Mar-08-09, 12:01
hi Karen,

.....I have heard of some folks who choose to have the carb-meal at breakfast, rather than later in the day (insulin is known to be most sensitive after the night-long fast) ... this allows them to have whole grain breads, cereals, fruit etc to start the day, then choose lowcarb meats and vegetables for the rest of the day.

Does anybody currently following CALP happen to have breakfast for their Reward Meal?

Over the years I've grown afraid of the first meal of the day, as I'm usually ravenously hungry ever thereafter.

However, the idea of FRUIT, (yikes!!!) and hot CEREAL, etc. and a slice of gluten free toast, geesh that sounds pretty wonderful, but it's hard to believe I wouldn't be starving all the rest of the day and despise my CMs.

Guess I better plan to have an actual Breakfast NIGHT this week, LOL!

Eliza_Jazz
Sun, Mar-08-09, 13:26
Steph

What is CALP? Sorry if I've missed the boat somewhere!

Karen

Doll,

CALP is the newer improved version of CAD. Check it out here:
http://www.amazon.com/Carbohydrate-Addicts-Lifespan-Program-Personalized/dp/B001PIHVCQ/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1236540177&sr=1-3

To read others' experiences with CALP (WARNING:VERY INSPIRATIONAL), below is the customer reviews page:
http://www.amazon.com/Carbohydrate-Addicts-Lifespan-Program-Personalized/product-reviews/B001PIHVCQ/ref=dp_top_cm_cr_acr_txt?ie=UTF8&showViewpoints=1

They also have other books, link below:
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/search-handle-url/ref=ntt_athr_dp_sr_2?_encoding=UTF8&search-type=ss&index=books&field-author=Dr.%20Rachael%20F.%20Heller

Eliza

Eliza_Jazz
Sun, Mar-08-09, 13:33
Does anybody currently following CALP happen to have breakfast for their Reward Meal?

Over the years I've grown afraid of the first meal of the day, as I'm usually ravenously hungry ever thereafter.

However, the idea of FRUIT, (yikes!!!) and hot CEREAL, etc. and a slice of gluten free toast, geesh that sounds pretty wonderful, but it's hard to believe I wouldn't be starving all the rest of the day and despise my CMs.

Guess I better plan to have an actual Breakfast NIGHT this week, LOL!

Annie,

I've been afraid to have my RM for breakfast or lunch because I think it may trigger cravings and have me grazing my way through the rest of the day. However, I have noticed that I have no cravings after my RM at night. So, I am planning to try it out over next weekend to see how it works. I'll let you know as soon as I find out. Do you have a journal here?

Eliza

CynthiaD
Sun, Mar-08-09, 15:30
've been afraid to have my RM for breakfast or lunch because I think it may trigger cravings and have me grazing my way through the rest of the day. However, I have noticed that I have no cravings after my RM at night. Ditto! I have no cravings at night and have not been snacking at all! Unbelievable!

Eliza_Jazz
Mon, Mar-09-09, 15:43
Ditto! I have no cravings at night and have not been snacking at all! Unbelievable!

It's a miracle, isn't it? :yay: I never thought that that would be possible. Lasting positive long term effects. Delicious!