PDA

View Full Version : Introduction

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums

Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

gh24647
Wed, Sep-04-02, 13:44
Hello :wave:

This is my introductory post. 3 years ago my dad did atkins and lost 50lbs. :D I had heard all of the horrible myths about atkins from my diabetic cousin and his endrocronologist wife, how it would destroy my muscles, put me in kidney failure, give me a heart attack. :eek: I said to my dad, "if you keep the weight off for 3 years and you are still in good health, I will give it a try!" :roll: He is in great health, better than ever, and I am following through on my dare. :p My dad is my main support buddy, but I am so happy about my first week and a half, I had to share. I am also so disgusted with how much junky food is out there, you don't really notice it until you know you don't want to eat it. The Revolution can't come quickly enough as far as I am concerned, spread the word!

See you around!

Kayceecan
Wed, Sep-04-02, 14:42
:wave: Hi Gwendolyn,

Good for you! This WOE is a lot healthier than the health community seems to want to believe...or admit!....although, that is changing quickly. I did Atkins in the 70's and everyone kept telling me how I was going to kill myself!....30 years later and they're finding it is the carbs that are the evil thing...not the fat and protein!. Good luck in your LC journey! K.C.

Sandylee
Wed, Sep-04-02, 17:41
Hi Gwendolyn,
Welcome to the site!! I am curious, has your dad stayed on the Atkins maintenance all this time? It is really encouraging to hear a success story like that. I'd love to hear more.
Sandy

gh24647
Wed, Sep-04-02, 18:12
My dad was told to lose weight because he was having trouble with his heart, this is a common story. But, my dad is not a common man. Living in a cabin in the mountains, making his own electricity, he is a bit of a hippy-type nut. He believes that the overload on carbs is a conspiricy on the part of the US government to overthrow Castro. Go figure! :q: He loves having a dietary regime that means he is not participating in the capitalist mainstream. He believes that he will eat this way for the rest of his life just to tick everyone off. ;) Having this kind of dedication is important because it does seem like there are enormous forces opposing us in taking charge of our own health.
Secrets my dad gave me?

L-glutamine-a must for our roller-coaster blood suger

Almonds-the trace cyanide in almonds kill parasitic bacteria (Chylamidia) in the mouth that damage our HDL. (long story here about dentistry and heart attacks) When its the right stage, eat a handful everyday.

Psyllum husks-constipation is not our friend. We each deserve a "healthy one" each day. Also, if you have a yeast problem, induction will kill off millions of them(no sugar, no yeast), reducing bullk in the intestines. We need bulk for movement. Replacing the bulk with fiber will help until our friendly bacteria can come to the rescue.

I am pleased to see some people on this forum who have some weight to lose. Some other sites were full of people moaning about the 10lbs they need to lose. Which is fine, but not what I can relate to.

Sandylee
Wed, Sep-04-02, 19:11
Your dad sounds like an amazing guy! And you seem quite knowledgeable about nutrition as well. I recently bought the Dr. Atkins book on micronutrients, and am learning from it.

One good thing about almonds; one ounce - about 25 almonds is only 5 grams of carbs! I have recently started eating them. What a treat after induction.