PDA

View Full Version : Just starting Schwarzbein

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums

Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Lila2002
Tue, Sep-03-02, 21:34
Hello All :wave:

I am just starting Schwarzbein this week. I have a very long dieting history with not much results to show for it. Right now my primary goal is to get my eating under control and get the stable blood-sugars that I get with low carbs. I've been lurking around here for a couple of weeks.

I still enjoy some AS occasionally and a couple cups of real tea in the morning. I may give them up sometime, but right now I am working on the whole rest of the picture.

I read the book and thought it would be really easy to do it exactly (having some low-carb experience), but then I practiced last week and there are quite a few pitfalls I found.

My food today:

b: Tea w/ H&H + Sweet & Low
2 eggs in olive oil & shredded pepper-jack cheese

S: 1/2c fresh raspberries & cottage cheese

L: tuna with cuke & tomatoes, mayo, olive oil, vinegar & herbs

S: 1/2c raspberries & cottage cheese

D: T-bone steak, zucchini w/ butter

-------
I need to work in more veggies.

Cheers!

Lila

lisaf
Wed, Sep-04-02, 05:21
Hi Lila! Welcome to our corner of the forum...I must say that your menu looks great and is making me very hungry!

Best of luck and please don't hesitate to ask questions!

What kinds of pitfalls?

Lisa

SusanKH
Wed, Sep-04-02, 09:24
Lila,
Welcome. I am just restarting Schwarzbein. Life threw me a few curves and I didn't stick with it, but I'm back. I drink a Diet Coke everymorning, and I haven't given that up either (I don't drink coffee).

Your menu looks really tasty! I might very possibly be wrong but I think Half & Half with your tea is a no no. I think we're supposed to use Heavy Cream. Like I said, I may be entirely wrong since I'm at work and don't have the book with me. You might want to check that out.

We're so glad you're here!

Susan

Sheldon
Wed, Sep-04-02, 16:33
That menu does look good.

I like TSP, but find that I have to scale down the carbs from what DS suggests. I was going for 30 grams with each meal, mostly fruit (berries, melon, or nectarine) and a brown-rice cake (6 grams). Last week I gained a pound! I was disappointed. The week before I lost 2 doing essentially the same thing. I'm cutting back and hope to see an improvement.

I assume that the carb aspect of TSP is very much YMMV. (Your mileage may vary--I just learned what that means myself) Since we are all different, each of us will have to do some diet tweaking. At least that's how it seems to me. Is that a common experience?

Thanks for all the helping hands. You are are indispensable.

Sheldon

Lila2002
Thu, Sep-05-02, 08:00
Thanks, all for the warm welcome...

Pitfalls, Lisa, are the off-plan foods that abound; the bread-basket at the restaurant that comes even though requested not to bring it; the spontaneous pizza or birthday party at work. At least now that I am close to plan, I don't have the cravings and can 'just say no' without trauma!

I finished my Half&Half and will buy real cream next time. This is what DS recommends even though I don't understand what is behind it.

I saved some of last night's spinach to go with my eggs this morning so that's another step closer to plan!

Lila

Angeline
Wed, Sep-11-02, 08:06
Full cream is better because the higher the fat content, the lower the carb. I remember reading that somewhere on a board.

I am stuggling with that concept a lot. Years and years of low-fat indoctrination is hard to dismiss overnight. I find myself reluctant to use heavy cream as I can't get rid of the idea it's "Fattening". When I choose a milk product, I can't seem to make myself reach for the full fat product.

When I pour olive oil into my frying pan, I have to remind myself that monounsatured fat is good for me and to use a generous amount.

Plus the fact that years of low-fat made me loose the taste for full fat stuff.... but I digress...

Sheldon
Wed, Sep-11-02, 08:23
I'd been drinking my coffee black (and unsweetened) for many years. I'd forgotten how good it tastes with real cream. I bought some last week and I'm actually enjoying coffee again. Wonderful! :)

Sheldon