PDA

View Full Version : My test results

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums

Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Akiwican
Tue, Sep-03-02, 20:07
I got my test results back and the Dr says everything was normal.

Fasting insulin 99

Glucose 5.9

T3 4.1

T4 12.1

TSH 3.51

How do these numbers sound to you all? I have been tracking my temperature and its nearly always lower than 97.8 upon rising. He says everyone is different and that doesn't mean anything.

:wave: Lesley

Rosebud
Tue, Sep-03-02, 20:33
Hi Lesley,

Thyroids aren't in my field of expertise but I can tell you that a temp of 36 to 37ºC is totally normal. That translates to 96.8 to 98.6ºF. In fact lots of folk have temps slightly <36 first thing in the morning (I'm talking from my many years of taking temps while working night duty ;) ).
So unless you're consistently lower than 96.8, you're very normal.

Why do you feel you are hypothyroid?

Not sure if that's very helpful...

Roz

Akiwican
Tue, Sep-03-02, 20:43
Oh I didnt know if I had a thyroid problem or not. I had read in a few places that a low temperature was a sign of a low thyroid, but I fit into the range you mention and what you said is in essence what the Dr said too. I was getting several tests done by the Endocronologist, thyroid was just one of many. I had alot of symptoms of PCOS, that's what started it all. I dont have that either.. .guess I'm just a slow looser. :rolleyes:

doreen T
Fri, Sep-06-02, 13:39
hi Lesley,

The fasting insulin level is really high IF the units of measurement are in mcIU/mL. Normal levels are 6 to 35 mcIU/mL. This would be in keeping with a diagnosis of insulin resistance/ PCOS though :(. Your fasting blood sugar is fine ... normal is 3.6 to 7.0 mmol/L. So no suggestion of diabetes.

The thyroid levels ...

(oops, I hit submit by accident ... sorry ... I'm still working on the rest .. hang on :daze: )

Doreen

doreen T
Fri, Sep-06-02, 14:20
OK ..

A TSH of 3.51 is normal ... The range for "normal" is 0.5 to 5.0. TSH levels go UP when thyroid function is low or hypo, and it goes DOWN if the thyroid is overactive or hyper. There are some sources that suggest a TSH closer to 2 is more "normal" for women.

Total T4 of 12.1 is normal ... if it was low, would indicate hypothyroid. The range is 5 - 12.5.

FT3 (or free T3 hormone) of 4.1 is normal .. the range is 2.3 - 4.2.

hope this helps,

Doreen

Akiwican
Fri, Sep-06-02, 15:56
Originally posted by doreen T
The fasting insulin level is really high IF the units of measurement are in mcIU/mL.

If must not be mcIU/mL because he said the range was 85 - 135. I recently read that anything 100 or over was bad....

I wonder if my low carbing helped with the glucose reading? Good news on that one anyway.

Akiwican
Fri, Sep-06-02, 16:02
Originally posted by doreen T
A TSH of 3.51 is normal ... There are some sources that suggest a TSH closer to 2 is more "normal" for women.

Yes, I did just see that info too...

Total T4 of 12.1 is normal ... if it was low, would indicate hypothyroid. The range is 5 - 12.5.FT3 (or free T3 hormone) of 4.1 is normal .. the range is 2.3 - 4.2.

Well, I am right on the borderline there. He must have different ranges because he said I was in the midpoint for all the tests. :confused:

Thanks for looking into this Doreen. I get so confused with so much info on the net. :rolleyes:

Atkid
Mon, Sep-09-02, 16:59
Hey Lesley

There's a link in my journal to the Atkins website regarding thyroid. Try that or search on his website directly.

Atkins says that you should average your temps for 4 days. If each day your average is below 98F or 37C you may be hypothyroid.

I know Roz insists this is still normal - but Atkins says that 25% of adults have thyroid problems.

25%. That is a massive number.

So what Roz and the medical profession call normal is not normal for Atkins.

Normal is merely a definition, not an absolute.

Remember - we (and others) have messed up metabolisms through carbs. Atkins obviously recognises this so his advice is tailored to our situation.

Considering Atkins' claim, and the fact that we are a disproportionate section of society on this board (as we all have weight issues), I'd say that it is likely that more than 25% of us on this board have thyroid issues.

It boils down to who you believe :

1 ) The medical profession - but if you don't believe their low fat advice (by low carbing), why should everything they tell you be gospel?

2) Dr Atkins.

So that's my $0.02. Or $0.01.

Thyroid_M
Fri, Sep-13-02, 18:21
I was so frustrated to see all of the posts indicating that your TSH of 3.51 was normal!

First off, the TSH test does NOT test your thyroid gland - but your pituitary gland. The theory is, the more Thyroid Stimulating Hormone that your pituitary produces, the less active your thyroid gland must be.

There are several problems with this as a sole indicator of thyroid functioning:

First, every single person has different optimal levels that they function off. So, having a test that looks as numbers falling within a fixed range does not account for our individualized differences.

Second, this test has a varying amount of accepted ranges. Some doctors say it is 0.5 to 5.5, or 1.5 to 6.5 . . . there is no single acceptable range.

I tested consecutively at 2.8 and 2.5 for four years - but I displayed all of the symptoms of an underactive thyroid. I was repeatedly dismissed as NORMAL [because my blood tests said I should be feeling fine, a doctor could tell me I was normal, despite my repeated complaints of NOT FEELING NORMAL!]

I found an article in the BMJ that states that anything above a 2.0 is indicative of hypothyroidism. Further, hypothyroid sufferers above normally accepted ranges normally feel regulated when brought between 1.0 and 2.0.

Furthermore, the TSH test does not take into account several other very important issues that can result in hypothyroidism:

1) The thyroid gland is functioning NORMALLY, but there are a high amount of binding proteins making the produced hormones ineffective;

2) The thyroid gland is functioning NORMALLY, but the body is fighting the hormones produced in the form of reverse T3 [or the like]

3) The thyroid gland is producing normal amounts of T4, but is not translating the T4 into T3 properly or adequately.

This is why you NEED to get a variety of blood tests. Not only TSH, T4, and T3, but also Free T4 and Free T3, and reverse tests, too.

Even more important than blood tests, though, is your body temperature. This is the best indicator of hypothyroidism. If your body temperature is routinely below 98.0, then this is a sign of hypothyroidism. The further below 98.0, the more likely and the more extensive the imbalance is.

My mother has had diagnosed hypothyroidism for over 20 years. When only on Synthroid [purely a T4 replacement, and therefore ineffective] her temperature was usually below 97.0. When my doctor put my mom on a T4/T3 combination, in addition to losing 11 extra pounds, her body temperature rose and she noticed an increase in hair growth and texture.

I finally found a doctor online that was referred by other hypos, and I was able to find one that was able to read the entire hormonal picture. Since starting meds over a year ago, my life has entirely turned around. I have energy now, and I have hair! I have been able to lose weight by diet and exercise, whereas before I was jogging 5.0 miles a day and eating just canned vegetables and still gaining weight.

The temps and the TSH you posted suggest that this might very well be an issue for you, too. Don't let everyone else convince you that it is all in your head, or not a real problem. This is very real, but unfortunately, underrecognized and undertreated.

PLEASE FEEL FREE TO E-MAIL ME PERSONALLY if you have any questions. I know how it feels to be told by the entire world you are NORMAL when you do not feel normal!

Best Wishes,

Margaret

Akiwican
Mon, Sep-16-02, 09:52
Actually the Dr did test my Free T3 and Free T4 and they were all normal. I really dont FEEL like I have a thyroid problem. I FEEL great and that is why I am trusting what the Endocronologist told me. Thanks for your input.

Thyroid_M
Mon, Sep-16-02, 10:54
I'm glad that you feel good - but you may be suffering symptoms and not realize it. All of the symptoms of a slow thyroid are generally accepted adjectives to describe women as they age. They include:

Fatigue
Moodiness
Depression
Dry Hair
Dry Skin
Constipation
Irregular or Painful Periods
Swelling
Hair Loss
Difficulty Losing Weight [despite active efforts, even]
Decreased Sex Drive
Low Body Temps
Lethargy

If you have a family history of thyroid disorder, have ever been pregnant, have been previously diagnosed, or have had problems with your goiter or your thyroid gland in the past, then you are at a higher risk for developing this disorder.

I would seriously consider, especially if you have any combination of the above symptoms, following up on this!!

Good luck,
Margaret

Akiwican
Mon, Sep-16-02, 11:09
Originally posted by Akiwican
I really dont FEEL like I have a thyroid problem. I FEEL great and that is why I am trusting what the Endocronologist told me.

The only symptom on your list I have is low body temp. No family history either. I'm FINE really, thanks.

:wave: Akiwican