PDA

View Full Version : Diagnosis is in: I have candida

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums

Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

MistyBee
Sun, Sep-01-02, 08:51
Hey guys, I got all my test results and met with my nurse practitioner... and I have candida.

It was visible under the microscope but coyly refused to grow out in the second part of the test so she is starting me on a broad band anti-fungal drug. ( the second part of the test is where they test all the different drugs and herbs on it after it grows out to see what you should try first... ) She also gave me some wonderful black walnut salve, to use for itching, as the yeast has showed up "down there" again... (sigh)

I also have almost no good bacteria in my gut - there wasn't ANY discernable in the test results. So I am taking Optiflora like mad! And she gave me another thing to take, too, as I am missing another enzyme from my gut that the body uses to help detoxify. Which explains why I feel sick all the time except when I clense...

On top of all that, I have insulin resistance and high triglycerides. My cholesterol was low, but the ratio wasn't where it should be. And of course we know I'm morbidly obese at this point... (or as she put it, "too short" (giggle!)) . So anyway, all of that adds up to Syndrome X and pre-Diabetes.

I'm on a special diet she gave me - involving special shakes and certain amounts of certain carbs and none of other ones... and low calorie, wah! Although I haven't really been very hungry, it is certainly much more a psychological thing. And the food I can eat is all very tasty...

The digestive sympotms have been unlovely, I admit... the brochure says that when you start taking these shakes you can getting a lot of bloating and etc though, so it is "normal".

I seem to have lost 5 pounds since the onset of this. Of course its much too early to mean anything, but I am obscurely encouraged since I hadn't been under 240 in ages.

She also confirmed for me, once again, that I couldn't have conquered the combination of these diagnoses without some help. Diet alone wasn't going to do it, and that she feels that is why I was failing. The supplements and herbs make a big difference to insulin reistance.

Some of the high powered supplements she has me on are pretty impressive, I must say. And I'm feeling better, which is GREAT! I can hardly believe it, but I will keep you posted.

Finally, after all these years - someone who took the yeast seriously. I can't encourage you enough to find someone who will run these tests for you if you are suffering!

Danyele
Sun, Sep-01-02, 11:07
hi,

Congrats on getting the proper treatment. I went to a naturopath in January and had a mild case of Candida. WEnt on Citricidal, garlic, acidopholus and a low carb no sugar diet. It is supposedly gone but i am still extremely careful with it. Hope everything works out and you are feeling good soon.

Danyele

MistyBee
Sun, Sep-01-02, 15:08
I appreciate the support! I am hoping to be able to lose some weight as well as feel better... I am so tired of having nothing I do work!

-Misty