PDA

View Full Version : Hi! I'm new!

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums

Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

lyndat
Mon, Aug-26-02, 10:27
I'm Lynda and although I've tried low-carb diets before, I've never participated in any type of forum like this. I think it should be really helpful and I'm looking forward to hearing about different experiences! :wave:

Kayceecan
Mon, Aug-26-02, 12:16
:wave: Hi Lynda,

Welcome to the forum, I wish you great success!

lyndat
Mon, Aug-26-02, 13:21
Thanks, Kacyann, for making me feel welcome!

kypraia
Mon, Aug-26-02, 13:37
Hi Lynda,

How's it going? I'm sure you are finding lots of good info on this forum. If you have questions there are so many people around to answer them. I haven't been here long, but I've figured out that much! :wiggle:

Best,
Kypraia

lyndat
Mon, Aug-26-02, 13:57
Thanks for the welcome, Kypraia! I'm looking forward to learning more and losing weight! I've only been on the diet for a week, so I guess you can't really expect too much too soon-probably just water weight. Are you doing a particular low-carb diet??

kypraia
Mon, Aug-26-02, 14:10
Hi Lynda,

I'm doing Protein Power, mainly because I appreciate how they explain the science behind the diet; I trust it more that way. Also my dad recommended it after losing 70 pounds. Most people on this forum do Atkins, and they're similar, but PP allows a few more carbs a day (I average 24/day) and also allows caffeine. (I think Atkins is against caffeine.)

I consider LC-ing to be 1/3 of my weight-loss plan. The other 2/3 is exercise, and I combine cardio (walking, exercise-biking, and dancing) with resistance (lifting weights, situps, etc). I weigh 220 and I wear a size 20W, so I'm not "in shape" in the traditional sense, but since I started working out a month ago, I have much more physical strength and endurance, and boundless energy. So I am all for exercise, as much as I despise it. (Well, I hate it less than when I started, but it's still hard for me. Not painful, but somehow not my favorite activity.) I've always been very sedentary, always taking the elevator, the car, etc. So this is a new way of thinking for me: don't avoid motion. And it's improving my quality of life, anyway.

As for the WOE (i.e., way of eating), stick with it. In the first week there should be some weight loss and some of that is definitely fat (you can use those ketostix to make sure you're in ketosis, but if you're on atkins you probably are) and you may experience a mini-stall after the second week like I did. (LOTS of people experience this.) I've been at it for four weeks, and lost 10 pounds in the first two weeks, and none since then. Don't give up though. Just think of it this way: in one year, if you stick it out, you'll be lighter than you are now, probably a LOT lighter. If you give up, you'll probably be heavier than you are now, and if you're like a lot of members, a LOT heavier. Either way you'll be a year older. So stick with it.

All the best,
Kypraia

lyndat
Mon, Aug-26-02, 14:26
Sounds like you're really undertaking a LOT of changes! Last weekend, I re-read Protein Power, and like you, I'm very impressed with the science behind it. I also re-read Atkins New Diet Revolution, as well as Sugar Busters-so that I could decide which diet I was going to do "this time"....know what I mean?? And you're right, if I would ever stick to something until I reach my goal, I think I'd be ok...trouble is something always "comes up"! As much as I like Protein Power, I think it gives me too much room for "interpretation"...the thing about Atkins is that the restrictions kind of give me a much needed discipline of sorts. As for exercise, I feel the same way you do...I walk 2 miles everymorning in 25 minutes-first thing before my body knows what it's doing! I wish you continued success! :wave: