PDA

View Full Version : Oh my goodness! Newbie alert!

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums

Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Sue Sun
Sun, Aug-25-02, 13:04
:wave: Hello everyone!

I've been reading here for a while and wanted to wait until I had gotten a start with this WOE before joining.

I began July 29, 2002 and while I'm still trying to restrain myself from jumping on the scale constantly, I have definitely changed my thinking about LC being an unhealthy WOE. Can you say I was brainwashed before? ;)

The more I read, the more LC made sense. Hmm, I have high blood sugars (to the point of nearly having to go on insulin injections), slightly elevated cholesterol level, PCOS and depression, not to mention a very large "insulin meter" :eek:. Dr. S' book said "try SP for a week" - okay, I'll give it a shot - LF/HC wasn't doing anything in the long term - I can't eat that way forever, and the weight and health concerns just jumped back on every time! :(

To quote Barry Manilow "could this be the magic at last"? YES!! The very next day my blood sugars had dropped significantly! They danced around for a few days, but were always lower than my starting levels. Within 1 1/2 weeks, they were NORMAL !! :Party: My clothes were feeling a lot looser (better haul out that measuring tape) and my depression, which was never really controlled even after months of taking antidepressants, had lifted so much that I felt like my old self again! :cheer: There has even been an improvement with my PCOS in that there hasn't been as much facial hair. (Doing the happy dance!)

I still have some work to do with implementing more of the SP (i.e. caffeine, sweeteners), but I'm making progress. There have been very few carb cravings after the first week and I want so badly to get off these medications.

From what I've seen, this looks like a great group and I have learned so much from all the posts. Time to go fix a snack and get some more water....

Take care all,

Talon
Sun, Aug-25-02, 13:14
Can you say I was brainwashed before?

You were brainwashed before. :lol: sorry, couldn't resist!

Welcome to the forum! It sounds like you are diving into this new WOE (Way of Eating) with a good deal of knowledge - this will help make you very successfull on your new healthy eating plan. Don't ever hesitate to ask questions, or just talk if you need to - we are all here for you!

:bhug:

tizzielish
Sun, Aug-25-02, 13:36
Weight loss is a journey, too. Not a race.

You sound like you are off to a fine start.

Sue Sun
Sun, Aug-25-02, 18:36
Thank you Talon and Tizzielish for your words of encouragement and welcome!

Yep, I was brainwashed before, but I got a new and better shampoo! :agree: :D

Oldsalty
Sun, Aug-25-02, 19:02
Congratulations on your new conversion.... The only advice that I would offer is to read more on the subject of low carb and the blood sugar/ insulin link. My two favorite books on the subject are Protein Power Life Plan by the Eades and possibly my very favorite Dr Bernsteins Diabetes Solution. both of them are worth every penny.

Debido54
Thu, Aug-29-02, 12:50
Large Courier Blue :wave: Boy was I ever brain washed but I still can't believe it took me this long before I quit listening to Doctor after Doctor tell me that I had to keep taking more insulin and I would complain every time I went to the Doctor about how lowsy I felt eating a low-fat, high carb diet .....Diabetic Doctors are killing their patients!!!! I never felt better since going on the high protein, low carb diet and I get to eat some fats too. It is an amazing and powerful feeling when you can take back control. I still am taking my medications for high blood pressure and thyroid until my sugars are in better control. I walk 5 miles per day on my treadmill too. I quit taking the Avandia after being on it for over a year. My sugars were wonderful, but i kept gaining weight and retained the water and my own Doctor did not know that the side effects for Avandia were weight gain and adema. I was livid :mad: to say the least. Now I am drinking more water, walking again, and am losing slowly but surely.:cheer: I want to continue to come back and read more. Thank you all for getting me started finally on the right track. :bhug: Lots of Laughter, Debido54

lyndat
Thu, Aug-29-02, 13:02
Debi and Sue-Your confidence and enthusiasm is positively inspirational! I love this support group...it really helps me, and I can tell everyone else! Hang in there ;) :exclm:

Debido54
Thu, Aug-29-02, 17:33
HelloOriginally posted by lyndat
Debi and Sue-Your confidence and enthusiasm is positively inspirational! I love this support group...it really helps me, and I can tell everyone else! Hang in there ;) :exclm: :wave: Hello and thank you for returning my message. I am finding out so much...I have spent most of my day researching the different lo-carb diets by different authors and have still liked the ones by Atkins and Schwarzbein's the best. I am diabetic also and hope to someday soon be able to stop taking insulin which will just keep me fat...lol. I really love Diet Pepsi Twist though and caffiene is not so good for me. I don't drink Coffee or Tea or Alcolhol which doesn't leave much. That will be my only problem, I think because I can't stand the water here in Fresno, California and bottled water is just too expensive. Maybe someone has a suggestion...I usually drink a 2-Liter bottle per day of Diet soda. All I really know is that I am so tired of being fat and tired and sick and miserable. I want my old life back....:agree: I am still waiting for the book from Dr. Schwarzbein. It should be here anyday now. Smoochies to all of you. Keep up the good work and Never Lose the Faith!!!!! :thup: Love and Laughter, Debido54

Sue Sun
Thu, Aug-29-02, 23:00
Originally posted by Oldsalty
Congratulations on your new conversion.... The only advice that I would offer is to read more on the subject of low carb and the blood sugar/ insulin link. My two favorite books on the subject are Protein Power Life Plan by the Eades and possibly my very favorite Dr Bernsteins Diabetes Solution. both of them are worth every penny.

:wave:

Thank you for the recommendations on the books and the support Old Salty! I had read the Eades original PPP when I was still unsure if LC was a good idea or not. That was the beginning of my enlightenment. :idea: I've also been reading the diabetic forum and saw that Dr. B was being highly recommended there by yourself and many others. I'm going to get both and continue my research.

Take care,

Sue Sun
Thu, Aug-29-02, 23:35
Originally posted by Debido54
Large Courier Blue :wave: I quit taking the Avandia after being on it for over a year. My sugars were wonderful, but i kept gaining weight and retained the water and my own Doctor did not know that the side effects for Avandia were weight gain and adema. I was livid :mad: to say the least. Now I am drinking more water, walking again, and am losing slowly but surely.:cheer: I want to continue to come back and read more. Thank you all for getting me started finally on the right track.

Way to go Deb! :thup:

I agree wholeheartedly with what you said about the doctors, particularly about them not knowing/checking on side effects of medications before prescribing them. I find that unless patients tell them about adverse side effects and/or they receive literature from the drug companies warning them of a noted increase in problems, that they usually only check to see if there are certain precautions, i.e. doing a liver test before hand. They tend to concentrate on the anticipated benefits that the patients will receive. But bless their little hearts, they are trying to help. As many of us are doing, we're educating ourselves and are questioning and working with our doctors to improve our health, even if it means going against conventional thinking of the medical community. :bash: I am just very grateful I now have a doctor who listens and is supportive of me following a LC WOL.

You're off to a great start and I know you're going to be successful! Bravo for taking this important step! :yay:

All the best,

Sue Sun
Thu, Aug-29-02, 23:54
Originally posted by lyndat
Debi and Sue-Your confidence and enthusiasm is positively inspirational! I love this support group...it really helps me, and I can tell everyone else! Hang in there ;) :exclm:

:o

You're welcome Lynda! I feel the same way about this group! I bumped into a friend earlier this week and we started talking about our old Weight Watcher days (we both dropped out, hee hee). I was explaining LC to her and lent her my book. She and a coworker both began the plan today and are quite enthusiastic and are hoping to improve some health concerns and lose some weight as well. So I have two support networks going, and couldn't be more pleased, because I know this is going to benefit all of us!

Ciao!

Sue Sun
Fri, Aug-30-02, 00:13
Originally posted by Debido54
I am diabetic also and hope to someday soon be able to stop taking insulin which will just keep me fat...lol. I really love Diet Pepsi Twist though and caffiene is not so good for me. I don't drink Coffee or Tea or Alcolhol which doesn't leave much. That will be my only problem, I think because I can't stand the water here in Fresno, California and bottled water is just too expensive. Maybe someone has a suggestion...I usually drink a 2-Liter bottle per day of Diet soda. All I really know is that I am so tired of being fat and tired and sick and miserable. I want my old life back....:agree:

Talk about being between a rock and a hard place with the insulin injections! Hopefully you will be seeing continued improvements with your readings so you can go off the med soon! Have you checked out the diabetic forum here? Some really great info there!

I love the Diet Pepsi Twist too! Best product to come along in some time! I am working towards weaning myself off the caffeine as well. Have you tried herbal teas? I know you said you don't drink tea, but herbal teas are quite different than the regular teas and are delicious and caffeine free. Regarding the water, we bought one of those water coolers, and after the initial purchase, the water refills are quite inexpensive. Individual bottled water is pricey! :agree: Like that old joke - What's Evian spelled backwards? Naive! :p

You sound very motivated Deb! You can do it! Go get 'em tiger!!

Later gator,

lisaf
Fri, Aug-30-02, 08:16
Hi Sue!

My welcome is a bit late...but here I am! Check out the Schwarzbein forum! We could use some new members and your enthusiasm is awesome!

Congratuations on your success so far!

Lisa

Sue Sun
Fri, Aug-30-02, 23:08
Originally posted by lisaf
Hi Sue!

My welcome is a bit late...but here I am! Check out the Schwarzbein forum! We could use some new members and your enthusiasm is awesome!

Congratuations on your success so far!

Lisa

:wave: Thanks so much Lisa! I have been reading the Schwarzbein forum and am planning to spend some more time there this long weekend! Lots of interesting people and information all around. Gonna take a peek in now before beddie bye time.

Ciao bella,

RCFletcher
Sat, Aug-31-02, 00:48
Passing water through a water filter and then boiling it helps.

I put the kettle on last thing at night and boil about 2 litres of water. In the morning I decant it into a fizzy drink bottle and drink it through the day.

The boiling gets rid of the chlorine taste and steralizes the water.

Hope this helps.
Robert