PDA

View Full Version : Brand-new CAD/CALP-er! Help!

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums

Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

catinhat
Sun, Aug-25-02, 08:31
Hello, all.

I am new to this part of the site, but I've been active at this site since late May. I have been doing protein power and have lost 27 pounds. I have 'cheated' a lot, which is what brings me here.

I read the first book a long time ago (CAD) and tried it, but I wasn't being sensible about the reward meal, so it didn't work, plus I felt really horrid! Now, I'm reading CALP, and that is helping me understand how this has to work. Because protein power is starting to 'get to me', I have decided to give this a try. I am not here because I 'get to eat pie and cake and candy', but because I get to eat beans, whole grain bread and some fruits that I miss. I want to continue to develop healthy habits, and I want 'treats' to be something that I have occasionally, not every day.

I am wondering if any successful CAD folks are willing to tell me about their rate of loss, the benefits and drawbacks of this plan, etc. For me, right now, it feels closer to how I want to ultimately eat and relate to food. It feels like a step toward 'forever' eating habits, so that's why I'm giving it a try. All told, from my highest weight (pre low-carb), I have lost 69 pounds, and I have 66 more to go, so it's not like I'm almost done or anything. If this allows me to eat 'normally' and continue to lose, that would be fantastic. If not, I hope to maintain for a while, get my bearings, then perhaps go back to something more restricted.

At this point, I am planning to give this a try for at least 5 weeks, and see what my results are and how they compare to what I have been doing. However, if I start gaining, that will be a sign that I'm not ready to follow this properly. At this point, I'm asking for tips, support, menu ideas, etc. Any and all responses will be most appreciated! I have a journal too - feel free to stop there as well!!

Yesterday was really rocky for me (not because of the plan, but because of emotional stuff), and the reward meal was a real help. I had the 2c. salad, then the 1/3 items: pork bbq, stir fried zucchini, and beans/cornbread. It was really satisfying and good!

Well, thanks in advance for your responses!
-Catinhat :wave:

JeannieF
Mon, Aug-26-02, 10:22
I too have tried other LC eating plans and haven't been able to stick with them for long. Sounds like you've done GREAT so far, but I am with you -- having virtually no carbs (or sooooo low carbs) drives me to distraction.

I am definitely a Carb Addict and find this WOE satisfying, therefore, liveable. I don't feel deprived as I know I can have a treat, occasionally, and some carbs once a day. I can live this way.

Once again, rate of loss is not lightning fast, but I figure, I've been fat for a long time, I can take my time getting slim. I'm still healthier and better off than I was before!

Much good luck to you! I'm sure you'll do fine. Patience is key, perseverence is essential!

Jeannie :sunny: