PDA

View Full Version : New and getting frustrated!

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums

Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

kypraia
Wed, Aug-21-02, 01:05
Hi, this is my first day here :wave: and it's great to see how much people are helping each other out! I'm new to low-carbing and I'm hoping for a little help myself; I've been doing it for 3 weeks, and while I lost 10 pounds in the first two weeks, I've actually gained a few pounds back since then! I am so careful not to cheat, I look up everything I eat and keep a journal, I don't use caffeine or alcohol, and I exercise every day both cardio and resistance. I need to lose A LOT of weight (70 pounds!!) to be healthy, and I'm beginning to think my body is as stubborn as a mule when it comes to fat loss. (BTW, I'm on the Protein Power plan, but I usually consume about 18-20 grams of carbs a day). oh yeah, and i'm female and in my 20's.

I've measured myself and there is no appreciable difference in my measurements, although my jeans fit better. I just wish I could see a downward movement instead of this frightening creep upward. Has anyone else had this experience? If so, when will it end?? I was prepared for slow results, but not for negative ones!! Help!

Thanks for the support!!
Kyp.

JeffE
Wed, Aug-21-02, 08:51
This sounds pretty normal to me....I had a plateau after my first two weeks, too. You do lose a lot of water weight when you begin, and then your body is trying to right itself from what it sees as possible starvation. It might help to eat some unsaturated fats, like macadamia nuts or peanuts, and otherwise just keep on keeping on....you should start to lose weight again in a week or so, but not as fast as you did before.

Cheers,
JeffE

Kayceecan
Wed, Aug-21-02, 11:26
:wave: Hi Kyp!

Don't lose hope! I've been on Atkin's since June. Lost 15 lbs in the first three weeks..then hit a super stall........haven't lost (or gained) since...But I'm a lot older than you, 53...and am on BP (blood pressure) meds, which I am sure is helping to stall me!. I did Atkins in the 70's and had great success. This WOE (way of eating) has other benefits to it...My cholesterol and triglycerides, etc. have come down significantly! :D
Because you're excercising, you are replacing fat with muscle, that probably accounts for the weight fluctuations. There are lots of others that are going through the same thing as you are. But I'm sure, if you stick with it, you'll see some results soon! Listing what you eat will help others to be able to suggest some ideas. Just forget the scale for a while (if you can) :p Give it at least a month....Too many give up too soon because they compare themselves with others...And if they would have stayed a little longer, they would have succeeded. Remember the weight didn't come overnight...either will the weight loss. And, I would rather eat this way, than "starve" on a low fat diet....and still not drop the weight as fast as I would like!...Try to be a little more patient (although I know its hard) :D You're doing better than you think!
:thup: We've all been there....and trust me, we all care!

Peace, K.C. Hang in there!

kypraia
Wed, Aug-21-02, 14:19
Thanks for the support. I'm definitely not going to give up! I'm going to try to increase my water intake (I hate drinking water for some reason) and I am hopeful that that will help. And I'll be as patient as I can. I guess it's not fair to think I can lose 5 pounds a week until I hit my goal, right?

I really am obsessing over that stupid scale. I wish I had the guts to throw it in the closet for a few months!

All right, I'm not giving up!!!
Kyp.

JeannieF
Wed, Aug-21-02, 14:51
Just watned to say keep going, girl!

I haven't lost much on my new WOE, but I feel so much more in control! I love this feeling. The cravings for sweets are gone. (I'm doing CAD, by the way.)

I read in the PP book that you have to forget about losing "weight" and think about losing "fat". Isn't that our goal? I know it sounds hoaky and we've all heard the addage about "gaining musle"... BUT, when you're eating high protien, that is exactly what's happening. If you were a big carb eater before, your body is in shock at the change and is using all that extra protien to repair muscle and build muscle.

Keep going. If I can do this, you can too!

:cheer:
Jeannie

cre8tivgrl
Wed, Aug-21-02, 15:20
You are doing a great job! Just keep going.

We all have stalls. I think your weight gain has more to do with your exercise plan instead. As you build muscle you are going to gain weight at first. But eventually that lean muscle will burn more calories than fat and you'll see a whoosh!! :)

Stick it out. Drink your water. Feel better!

Shelley

kypraia
Wed, Aug-21-02, 15:42
See, I know you guys are right.

Perhaps I am gaining muscle, that would be so wonderful!! I am SO appreciative that you guys are writing messages because it is the most comforting thing when other people who have been there before give you the benefit of their experience. I love this forum!

Another thing I've been thinking (has anyone else noticed that this mattered?) was that during the first 8 days or so, I was eating real meat and veggies all the time, but this week I went to the store and bought all this low-carb fake food like protein shakes, powders, bars, etc, and basically started eating dairy products in place of veggies for my carb allotment. In other words, I basically stopped eating veggies, and ate cheese and Splenda-flavored syrups and stuff. As of this morning, I cut that out and added vegetables again (along with TONS of water) and I'm very hopeful that I will see some results.

BTW, my reasoning behind eating the protein bars etc instead of the veggies was that one protein bar supposedly contains 40% of the daily fiber requirement!!! However, the veggies are more psychologically satisfying so I'm going to try to stick to the more natural (and common-sense) approach.

Love you guys!!!
Kyp.

Kayceecan
Thu, Aug-22-02, 00:23
:D Hi again Kyp,

Yep, its easy to fall into that "substitute" mode... :p Glad you're back to the vegetables!.....

http://www.millan.net/anims/thecatsign.gif

Hang in there! K.C.

tizzielish
Sun, Aug-25-02, 14:43
Wow. It is inspirational to me that you have stayed LC since June w/o seeing change on the scale. You rock, my friend.

I amfull of self pity because I have been stalled about three weeks.

We can all hang in there and achieve our goals.