PDA

View Full Version : I Seriously Don't Know The Anser To This

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums

Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Misty
Thu, Aug-15-02, 19:01
When a vitamin/supplement says to take with a meal, should I take it before, during or after the meal?

JeannieF
Fri, Aug-16-02, 06:40
I have always understood that if it says to take "with a meal" that means they want some food in your stomach before the pill gets there.

So, I'm not medical doctor, but I would take it after the meal, or at least after some food is injested.

itsjoyful
Fri, Aug-16-02, 17:49
I also think it would depend on the supplement. Some are better absorbed w/o food, some with.
Try this...

http://www.supplementwatch.com/

you may find the answer there..
hth,
Brenda

Rosebud
Fri, Aug-16-02, 18:16
Hi Misty,

I think I can answer this one for you (I'm an RN if that helps).
"With meals" usually means just after. As Jeannie says, there needs to be some food there. When we dish out pills at work, "with meals" stuff is routinely given after food.
You can have it during if you like, but I take my "with meals" tablets immediately after. The only time I take tablets actually with food, is if the tablets themselves taste nasty. Anyone who's ever taken Prednisone will know what I'm talking about! :p

Cheers, matey.

:rose:Rosebud:rose:

Talon
Sat, Aug-17-02, 06:22
Here is another one. "Take on an empty stomach". Does this mean a certain amount of time before you eat? If so, how long? (Ie. L-Carnitine)

Rosebud
Sat, Aug-17-02, 07:01
"On an empty stomach" means ½ hour before food or 2-3 hours after, depending on how much you've eaten I guess! :p

Cheers.

:rose:Rosebud:rose: