PDA

View Full Version : just started today

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums

Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

joseph1980
Thu, Aug-15-02, 15:43
hey everyone,

my name is joe. I was just going through this site, and it's really great how everyone is so supportive and helpful. I'm just starting my atkins diet today. I'm craving like crazy but i'm staying strong. :) I was just wondering if anyone has a list of what foods we should be eating that's low in carbs? Any help would be great. Everyone take care, and good luck dieting!

destro
Thu, Aug-15-02, 16:43
Welcome, Joe, and congratulations on starting a Low Carb way of life.

It's good to stay strong: I think that most of us will testify that the cravings either diminish or disappear entirely very quickly.

I don't know if you own the Atkins book: that should give you an idea of what you can eat. There is probably a lot of information right on the forum: off the top of my head I would say that (most) meats, poultry, eggs are fine. A fair amount of green veggies -- non starchy types. Salad things, for example.

Since you are just beginning you might want to avoid, for the time being, things like protein bars or shakes. BUT I am not following Atkins myself: I am doing a plan that is highly similar, however. There are foods that I eat on my plan but I don't know what Atkins would say about them such as cheese and nuts.

You might want to go to the Atkins topic on this forum for better advice!

Much good luck to you,

Natalie

SooCee
Thu, Aug-15-02, 16:49
Hello Joe.

Welcome to the forum. Yes, everybody here is great for support, info, and tips.

Here is a list of things I can think of on the top of my head:

snacks- cut up cheese, veggie sticks, hard-boiled egg, and can of tuna is good.

breakfast- eggs, salad, little meat, etc

lunch- if you want a big lunch have meat or fish with a salad or something, but otherwise just eat some of the snacks...

dinner- meats, fish, veggies, cheese, etc

That's all I can really think of for now... you can cook up meat and fish anyway you want. They are NO carbs (except for things like bacon, and sausage, that has a little) Oh and remember to drink lots of water :thup:

joseph1980
Thu, Aug-15-02, 17:22
Thanks so much, that helps alot. I was just wondering too, about milk. I can't see myself quitting drinking milk, is it that bad for the atkins diet? I used to think that milk was essential for strong bones and healthy body now i'm not too sure. Thanks again for the reply.