PDA

View Full Version : Study shows potential toxic effects of long-term Creatine usage

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums

Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Voyajer
Wed, Aug-14-02, 16:33
Med Hypotheses 2000 May;54(5):726-8

Potential cytotoxic effect of chronic administration of creatine, a nutrition supplement to augment athletic performance.

Yu PH, Deng Y.

Neuropsychiatry Research Unit, University of Saskatchewan, Saskatoon, Saskatchewan, Canada. Yup~sask.usask.ca

Creatine is alleged to be an ergogenic aid to enhance sports performance and recently became a popular sports nutrition supplement. Although short-term supplementation of creatine has not been associated with major health risks, the safety of prolonged use has caused some concern. The present study demonstrates that creatine is metabolized to methylamine, which is further converted to formaldehyde by semicarbazide-sensitive amine oxidase (SSAO). Formaldehyde is well known to cross-link proteins and DNAs, and known to be a major environmental risk factor. SSAO-mediated production of toxic aldehydes has been recently proposed to be related to pathological conditions such as vascular damage, diabetic complications, nephropathy, etc. Chronic administration of a large quantity of creatine can increase the production of formaldehyde, which may potentially cause serious unwanted side-effects.

Deb
Fri, Aug-16-02, 11:23
(one month on, one month off) would reduce negative effects?

Anyone?

Deb

DrkBlade
Thu, Jan-08-04, 17:54
I could be wrong in this, but as far as I had heard creatine is a natural substance that is already produced inside our bodies in the first place. So, if creatine goes through these stages and transforms as they are suggesting then wouldn't that mean it is ok since it is a natural thing? Taking creatine is actually just boosting what our bodies are producing anyways so as long as you didn't start taking a LOT of the stuff then wouldn't it be alright? I could be wrong in this, but from the information I have this is just my opinion. Let me know if someone knows different.