PDA

View Full Version : hair loss ???

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums

Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Gail
Wed, May-23-01, 20:10
has anyone else experienced hair loss as a result of going off a low-carb diet? it could be a result of an increased stress level, which happened at the same time I went off atkin's, but i'm not sure. i am very concerned--has anyone else experienced this same problem ?:confused:

doreen T
Thu, May-24-01, 00:00
Um, not sure about specifically going OFF a lowcarb diet. Any change in the diet will create some stress to the system, but it will be transient and temporary. Hair and skin cells renew every 4 to 6 weeks, so a sudden stressful event that causes hair loss will resolve in a couple months, and the hair will grow back.

Most folks who change TO a lowcarb, hi-protein diet notice the opposite, that hair becomes thicker, but there may be a bit of loss at the beginning.

Other stressful life events can and will cause significant hair loss, to the point of baldness .. :( .. That happened to a friend of mine when double tragedy struck in her family. It all grew back just fine, but she had to wear scarves and turbans for a while.

The only other thing I can think of is low thyroid .. that will cause hair loss, not just from your head though .. you'll notice less hair or finer hair on arms and legs, and thinning eyebrows too.

Hope things improve for you. Just curious .. why did you go OFF a lowcarb diet?? Did you reach goal??

Doreen