PDA

View Full Version : Is it reasonable to expect . . .

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums

Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Frank
Sat, Aug-10-02, 11:11
. . . blood sugar levels and the need for meds to decrease with weight loss?

I've already experienced decreased BS now that I'm on induction. In fact, I've stopped my Glucovance. Fasting BS is just above normal and BS during the day runs 110-120.

I'm concerned that as I add back limited amounts of carbs (following Atkin's) after induction that my BS may begin to rise a bit.

Have any of you other diabetics found that as you begin to drop pounds your ability to process carbs improves?

Marlaine
Sat, Aug-10-02, 11:45
Hi there Frank.......

May I suggest that you have a read in Ruth's journal. I think that you will find some interesting and relevant information there.

Marlaine

Frank
Sat, Aug-10-02, 12:18
Thanks, Marlaine!

I posted on her journal to see if she'd mind commenting here.

Thanks!

Ruth
Sat, Aug-10-02, 13:40
Hi Frank,

Your BG test numbers look great. You must be very pleased with your finger stick results while you have been on Induction.

Yes, losing weight does help your body process and handle your carbs better, because fat loss leads to less resistance to the insulin present in blood and all your systems begin to function better.

And yes, you should expect a slight rise in BGs when you increase carbs. We are all different and it might not happen, but do expect it. We diabetics with glucometers are more fortunate that the other lowcarbers, because we can use them to monitor the effect of carb consumption on our BGs. When you add carbs, look at it as an experiment. If BG rises, cut back the carbs or increase exercise (see next paragraph) ;) Isn't it great that you're learning to control BGs with food, not drugs?

One variable you have not mentioned is exercise. Are you walking or getting any type of exercise on a regular basis? Exercise will greatly help your body manage/use carbs for direct energy needs, which will drive BGs down. CAUTION If exercising is new to you & you are still on meds, you need to be very aware of the possiblity of hypoglycemia, watch for the signs & check BGs before & after exercise.

Your results so far are wonderful and after meal BGs will come down as more weight drops off. Close monitoring will keep your BGs at a good level and over time you will find you have increased tolerance for more carbs and will not have to do finger sticks as often, 'cause you'll be in the normal ranges all the time.

Best wishes for normal blood glucose results!

Frank
Sat, Aug-10-02, 14:07
You're right, controlling with diet instead of medication is great!

Currently, I'm not exercising and don't intend to until after induction. Then I'll start walking which I've done off and on over the years.

My wife, who is also inducting with me, has been doing stretch and calisthenics with Denise Austin (on TV) for a few months and she is continuing that. With a little less energy!

See my intro at:
http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?s=&threadid=55050

Thanks for the great info and encouragement!

pgarcia
Mon, Aug-12-02, 07:11
Welcome to the low carb club. I have been here since April, and my A1c has gone from 11.9 to 5.5 last month. My Glucophage has been cut in half, and I am low carbing toward being off the medication totally by 01Nov02, my next checkup.

Unlike other members of the low carb community, I don't ever really expect to add many more carbs back into my diet. I have Atkins pancakes every once in a while, just tried some Atkins Brownies, (and the were good, but spiked me), and I have salad and green veggies on a regular basis.

Having dropped my A1c to pre-diabetic levels I started negotiating with my Dr about going medicine free, and he advised me to kick up my exercise to offset the reduction in meds. I am very forutnate to have a racquet club across the street from where i work, so I do a Nautilus routine Mon/Wed.Fri and try to play racquetball Tues/Thurs.

Now that the weather is gettin a little cooler I will also be running in the morning again, hopefully 4-5 times a week.

As Ruth, (who is my diet concsience, even though she is a continent away), said, exercise is very important. I will also recommend the book that was recommended to me by many people in this community, "Diabetes Solution" by Dr. Bernstein. He is type I but uses diet and exercise to control his insulin to the absolute minimum. He has a lot of good information, and is quite an inspiration.

I use this forum and my glucose meter to keep my eating habits in line, and you might find it very helpful to keep a journal. Welcome to the club, and HAPPY LOW CARBING!!!!!!

Geekgirl
Thu, Sep-05-02, 13:17
When I was first diagnosed as a diabetic my sugars were averaging around 220 fasting level. Within a week of starting on Atkins I saw gradual decrease in them. After around 3 or 4 months I started hovering around 125 on average. It made a huge difference. A few months after that I went down into normal ranges and would hover around 95 or so. I strongly feel that it is direct reflection of my lowcarb eating that stablized my sugars.

puma_power
Fri, Oct-11-02, 13:28
Dear pgarcia,
It is nice to hear of your A1c progress, as I am a Type 1 diabetic and my most recent A1c (about a month ago) was 9.7. I just started Dr. Bernstein's diet and I feel very optimistic about acheiving a good A1c by my next blood work--I am hoping for 5-6 by late January, and I wasn't sure if that was a realistic goal, but it seems that you have done a similar thing! Congratulations! You are an inspiration for me!
Also, I identify with your comment about never being able to add carbs back in--Dr. Bernstein says in his book that he hasn't had fruit in 20 years! I know that he is right and I can never go back to having more than 20-30 grams of carb a day, and no goodies ever, but I do feel kind of sad that I can never have fruit. :( It is my favorite thing. And, unlike a Type II diabetic who has improved their glucose tolerance through the diet, I will never be able to improve my glucose tolerance much at all...I know that it's only food, but sometimes I still feel like, can I really do it?
Do you have any words of advice on this?
Thanks,
Puma

kjturner
Thu, Oct-24-02, 05:53
Don't despair too much about the fruit. I have found that I can very occasionally tolerate fruit. Pretty much only berries and some melon. Very rarely I can have a small apple. I now think of fruit as a special treat, not a staple. I also now realize I probably will never be able to increase my carbs above about 30. I have good days and bad days and I test, test, test! This is a life-plan for me now. This is how I eat and that's what I tell everyone. I'm not willing to trade a bagel for a finger, or bananas for kidney dialysis, or a sticky bun for my vision....

puma_power
Thu, Oct-24-02, 07:38
Thank you for your comments--you are right, I certainly wouldn't trade a banana for a kidney! That is a good way of looking at it. I guess the thing for me is, I was expecting to feel so great doing this diet that it would compensate for giving up so much dietary variety and flexibility. But, though my BG's have definitely improved alot (though not as much as I am aiming for), I still feel tired most of the time. My most recent bloodwork showed that I am somewhat iron deficient--but not anemic, just at the lowest end of normal. But I have started taking a multivitamin with some iron, and I've also been trying to eat more red meat (this is something that just does not come naturally to me, as I've been vegetarian for a large part of my life). I am afraid of getting too much iron, too. Also, I thought it might be the fact that I seldom get enough water, but I have been much better about that as well...any thoughts on this, anyone?

kjturner
Mon, Oct-28-02, 03:39
Yeah, stop taking the vitamin with iron. There are two types of iron: organic and non-organic. Non-organic comes from things like...RUST! What you want is the kind of iron that has already been processed by a plant or an animal. The kind that is in tablets is non-organic. Actually, the trend toward adding iron to a vitamin tablet is going away. Some folks have a *real* problem processing non-organic iron (I used to work with a lady who would get *very* ill from non-organic iron). Also some forms of illness will cause your body to 'hide' it's iron from invaders, which makes your blood tests look as though you're deficient, when in actuality you may have too much iron--which is it's own problem. See:

http://healthy.net/asp/templates/column.asp?PageType=Column&id=68

Just an example of what can be found out there regarding vitamin pill iron. There's lots more. If you eat red meat at least twice a week, and eat green leafys such as kale, collards or broccoli you are getting enough iron. If you are still deficient on the blood tests, then maybe you should look for another cause for the deficiency and the tiredness. You may have a chronic infection you are fighting.

kjturner
Mon, Oct-28-02, 03:43
I can also highly recommend the book: 'Your body's many cries for water" and "The Ph miracle". The Ph miracle is written from someone who advocates a more vegetarian life-style, but I've applied many of his principles to my diet and I get much better BG readings when I do. Also do a search on the many websites devoted to a more alkaline lifestyle.