PDA

View Full Version : make your own potassium pills

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums

Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

delilah
Fri, Aug-09-02, 19:46
After reading about how one can inexpensively up their potassium levels with no-salt or some other sort of potassium salts, I thought I'd try them. YE-UCK! I just couldn't get that sort of bitter taste out of my mouth, so I did some shopping around and discovered that I could make my own pills and get rid of that yucky taste!

San Francisco Herb Company (http://www.sfherb.com) sells the gel-caps and the filler very, very inexpensively. I have a friend who lives in SF, so was able to pick them up for me, since they have a minimum order of $30.00. But I did some calling around and discovered that most health food/herb stores carry them, albeit a bit more expensively. The Cap-m-Quik filler cost anywhere from $10.95 to $13.47 USD at the places I called (as opposed to $6.95 at SFHerb), and anywhere from $12.00 for 100 caps at Rite-Aid to $10.00 a pound at a little herb store in town. A package of about 500 weighs 2 oz.

Anyway, thought I'd pass that on for any of you others with muscle cramps (read the standard warning about taking potassium supplements, though!).

skwirl
Sat, Aug-31-02, 20:38
Just be careful. Potassium is one of those minerals that regulates the heart, too much or too little can cause heart palpitations, even DEATH. I am new to this forum and this is one of the first posts I have read, just thought I would give you a little food for thought

Atrsy
Fri, Sep-20-02, 21:38
It's very important to take the potassium with food. That is why the lite salt or nu salt is much higher in potassium than pills that sell over the counter. It is assumed that you will use the salt on food. The pills are only 90mg and not all that is potassium.

It would be dangerous to make the capsules and take them on an empty stomach.

Carol

SlimShAdY
Sat, Sep-21-02, 22:37
Why bother making your own when you can buy them as PILLS not salt....... :rolleyes: :confused:

Alexoc949
Sun, Sep-29-02, 23:46
The salt is the easiest, and you don't need to use that much. I put it in food and don't even know it's there.