PDA

View Full Version : Scotland Uk 10 Year 'yo-yo' Low-Fat Dieter trying Low-Carb diet for first time!!

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums

Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Mrs_Moo
Fri, Aug-09-02, 18:09
Stumbled across this site yesterday after having visited my Doctor on Wednesday 7th August and finally admitted 'officially' to be struggling with my weight. He suggested trying a low carb diet and is taking me 'under his wing'. I will visit him in three weeks time. Been told to buy a top of the range multi-vitamin and follow one of the low-carb diets. I also received a scary lecture on damage to my heart, and bones/joints, not to mention diabetes etc. So.....I have purchased Atkins 'New Diet Cookbook' and Dr Charles Clark's 'The New High Protein Diet'. So here I go again..........!

Who am I? I am a very bubbly 32yr old happily married mother of three fantastic but energetic kids, from Scotland UK. I am a great motivator and love to help and support others. My only problem is that although I give great advice/support/encouragement to others, I would never dream of asking anyone else to help me. And....I do need help. I am very wary of this diet as I have NEVER tried anything like it, i.e. always been a 'low-fat' dieter. But....I am more than willing to give it a go. Trying to remain as positive as I possibly can and not think of this as yet another 'failed' attempt to lose weight.

I think of myself as a 'fat cow' :thdown: (hence the name 'Mrs Moo') but am aware that it is only me who is keeping myself down and making me lose my self-confidence. Determined to cut myself some slack and try to stick to this 'new' way of life.

Thanks for reading this, looking forward to supporting you/ being supported and swapping great hints/tips once I have got the hang of this low-carb thing. :confused: (This is Day 2 for me).

Cheers! :roll:
Mrs Moo

TeriDoodle
Fri, Aug-09-02, 18:31
Well, aren't you lucky to have such a smart doctor!!? I'd stick with him!! I do believe that this will be the last "diet" you'll ever be on. While it's true that committing to this way of eating is a lifetime thing, it is by far the easiest and most satisfying way of getting at and STAYING at goal.

I"m not familiar with Dr. Clark's plan, but I have read Atkins, of course. Atkins is the most popular but there are others worth checking into. I started with Atkins, but went to Protein Power because they allow a few more carbs, caffeine and moderate wine ;) If you look over to your right, you'll see a link called "which plan is right for me?" .... some of the more popular plans are summarized there.

This really is a great way of life. I've been low-carbing since March and have lost 21 lbs. It has been SO easy ...and when I'm hungry, I eat! Beautiful, no? Although carb cravings can be tough to get through in the beginning stages and when TOM (our abbrev for "time of month") arrives, after a while you really won't miss the bread, pasta, sugar, rice, etc.... because you have so many other wonderful foods available to you, there really is no compelling reason to "cheat". Visit our recipes sub-forum and you'll find a million delicious recipes to keep you busy and happy for a long time!

As for the health concerns you might have, just keep reading. I think the more you read, the more confidence you'll have that this really IS the best approach. I've read COUNTLESS tales of people's deteriorating health be completely turned around by low-carbing....everything from high blood pressure to diabetes to fibromyalgia to allergies to high cholesterol.....and more.

Feel free to drop by my journal anytime....and consider starting one of your own. It's a great way to keep in touch with your LC buddies!!

Let us know how we can help. Best of luck to you!! :D Oh, and WELCOME to the forum!

destro
Fri, Aug-09-02, 19:06
Hello Mrs. Moo,

Let me, too, welcome you. I agree with all that Teri wrote. I would also really hope that you start a journal; you write beautifully and since you are one of the people, as you describe yourself, who is good at supporting others but who does not like to ask for help yourself, I think having your own journal where you can say whatever you need to is an excellent idea (I should know--I am that way myself!)

You will learn so much here!

Take good care,

Natalie

Mrs_Moo
Sat, Aug-10-02, 03:49
Got up this morning, feeling semi-okay, but was pleasantly surprised to find I had two replies!! Thanks so much, I am feeling encouraged and highly motivated today! I have a LONG way to go...but am on day three now and intend to take it one day at a time. Going to make out a shopping list and clear my cupboards of all the Hi-Carb evils lurking around in there.......!

Thanks for the friendly welcome, it has certainly made a difference!

Mrs Moo :wave:

Talon
Sat, Aug-10-02, 05:04
Welcome! :wave:

I think the hardest part of starting and staying on this WOE for me was getting over the low-fat thinking. I still automatically thought "I can't have that, it is high in fat!". It took some time, but I can finally say that I am over that way of thinking and now do the same with high carb foods. :)

penelope
Sun, Aug-11-02, 19:03
Welcome Mrs Moo
Like you I have been on low fat diet many times
I envy you ,having a understanding doctor.
I have to see mine soon and I am petrified at the idea of telling him about my being on this diet since april 22.
You will find many friends here all working toward a same goal.

I wish you all the best. :wave:

Mrs_Moo
Sun, Aug-11-02, 19:33
Everyone seems so nice and friendly and supportive!

I have decided to start a journal. I reckon it will really help me get things of my chest and into perspective.

Thanks for all your best wishes, may I return them and congratulate you on your success so far. You are an inspiration.

Mrs_Moo :wave:

pgarcia
Mon, Aug-12-02, 12:32
You have 95 % of everything going for you just because of where you live, so this diet and weight thing ought to be easy.

You are very fortunate to have a doctor that embraces this Way Of Eating, and that you do not have to fight this battle before you get down to fighting the "Battle of the Bulge". I attend diabetic classes, and have been told by health professionals that I am crazy for embracing low carb. My doctor seems to be taking a wait and see attitude, but he likes the results so far.

Correct eating is important, but almost as important is exercise. Get motivated, and keep busy. As a mother of three I imagine that it will not be difficult, but the more you do, the better off you will be. Whether it is running, walking, weight work you have to get your metabolism up. It will help take the weight off, AND will keep you from falling into what many of us here have, Adult Onset Diabetes.

Start a journal here so we can see how you are doing, write down everything you eat, drink lots of water, and be prepared for a brand new Way Of Life. You will have more energy, an energized outlook on life, and you will meet a lot of nice people here. We're all here for the same reason, so we have nothing to hide. You'll get a lot of encouragement, some admonishment if you are not keeping your end of the deal up, and you'll find a whole world out there that is not built on the ingestion of sugar.

The windswept fields of the Culloden Moor, majestic Ben Nevis, the peace and solitude of Orkney keep calling me to return to my favorite place in the world. How I envy you.

With all the adversity the Scots have faced and overcome over the last 1000 years, this WOE will be a snap. Welcome!!!!!! :bhug: