PDA

View Full Version : Help my Lovely Mother!

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums

Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Scarlet
Wed, Aug-07-02, 20:18
I am looking for some sort of solution to my mothers problem. She has been told she has high cholesterol (7) and needs to lose about 7 lbs and lower it. This is fine however I am concerned about the diet she is on. It seems to be extremely low in fat and I find she has replaced sweet food such as cakes with fat free food that is loaded with chemicals and sugar. She is taking HRT and carries most of her weight on her boobs and then her tummy (like I do :) ). I feels she would really benefit from a moderate carb diet, increase her fat a bit and get rid of SUGAR completely. However, I need hard evidence and experience from all of you. Can anyone reccomend any simple (LOL) articles on sugar and refined carbs reduction resulting in lower cholesterol and weight loss. Also, what plans would suit her since she is only a teensy bit overweight but DOES need to lower her cholesterol.

Thanks!

Scarlet

Oldsalty
Thu, Aug-08-02, 07:29
There is plenty of reading in support of the issue raised in this article that the cholesterol level in women is not an indicator for cardiovascular disease.

Here is a quote from an article by Sally Faldon and Mary G Enig Phd.
Men who have cholesterol levels over 350 mg/dl are at slightly greater risk for heart disease. For women, there is no greater risk for heart disease, even at levels as high as 1000 mg/dl. In fact, mortality is higher for women with low cholesterol than for women with high cholesterol .
The full article is here. http://www.westonaprice.org/moderndiseases/hd.html

Scarlet
Fri, Aug-09-02, 08:18
Unfortunetly, she's not much of a believer in that sort of thing. She thinks docs are always right. I just need to find some articles stating that fat free products are BAD and that a low GI diet is much better for her cholesterol than a low fat diet. Can anyone point me to a source?

OldSalty - very interesting article BTW, I enjoyed it even if my mum is sceptical :)

Scarlet

jarmin88
Sat, Oct-26-02, 03:44
You might simply present evidence that in most people cholesterol improves with a reduced carb intake - this piece of research showed weight loss and improved cholesterol http://atkinscenter.com/Archive/2002/8/27-699825.html
or you might show her a couple of pages of the atkins book which claims the same thing.