PDA

View Full Version : in tears

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums

Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

iwantmore
Tue, Aug-06-02, 20:59
I don't know where to begin. I have been searching and begging for direction and support for the last year. Twelve years ago I was diagnosed with epilepsy. The seizures remained uncontrolled until last August when I was rediagnosed with Latent Diabetes. The grand mal and petit mal seizures were the result of severe blood sugar lows. Apparently, unless a doc is looking for the difference, both types of seizures look the same on an eeg.

I was desperately lethargic as a child. Until kindergarten, I slept on an off, an hour at a time and then up for half hour or so and then back again for another hour for a total of something like 18 hours a day! My parents took me to the family doc who tested me for diabetes and said, "No, she's fine." Parents and teachers found me curled up asleep in the oddest places at inapproriate times. Doctor still said, "No, her blood sugar's fine. Not diabetic. Just lazy." No kidding.

At ten years old, we'd all had enough of my lethargy and crying jags and my being up and down with night terrors and bizarre sleep patterns. The doc put me on anti-depressants to help me sleep. No kidding. Within six months I was on anti-depressants during the day and sleeping pills at night. I became hopelessly addicted from the get go. I was permanently confused and tired and highly emotional before, and most of that didn't change, but at least I stopped feeling desperate for relief.

At twenty-one I had my first grand mal. At that same time I had just moved out and began drinking alcohol and mixing it with coca cola. The coincidence is obviously not a coincidence. Umpteen gajillion seizures later, I was sober and pill-free except for the phenobarbitol at twenty-four...had to be just to save my life. Since then (almost nine years) I have been struggling to find the true source of my misery and have found that it is rooted in my blood sugar/insulin problem. For seven years I went to my family doc and said how unbearably tired I was all the time and how I had bizarre reactions to sugar. Blood was taken, he also declared "not diabetic", nothing's wrong. Is it just me, or can anyone else scream when the doc keeps asking, "What would you like me to do for you?" How should I know? I didn't know what was wrong!

Sorry...I just realized that this should really go into that file called "introduction". I apologize for the length of this post, but I'm actually crying I'm so overwhelmed by hearing other people who sound just like me. After a lot of arguing and a hell of a lot of being dismissed, I finally found a nutritionist who *listened*. I got a glucose test kit and brought her my list of numbers. She said, "Wow!" and put me on a low carb/high protein diet immediately. Within three months I was off the anti-seizure medication and have been...as I said...seizure free for a year.

My problem today is that although I've got doc's agreeing that my insulin levels are shooting sky high almost immediately after eating carbs, I can't get anyone to test to see what is the specific problem with the insulin. I feel totally alone here. I'm in Ontario and absolutely no doctors are taking on new patients close-ish to where I live. My blood sugar still yo-yo's and although I feel human again, I still get very tired on and off and on again and have been deeply depressed for the last four months. I need help and no one's helping. I have to do it.

I was dying when I listened to everyone else and saved my life on a dozen different scores when I stopped listening. My problem is me right now. I love food and I love to eat. I'm caught in a vicious cycle of cravings that lead to binging that leads to feeling bad that leads back to cravings and bingings.

I don't even think I have a definitive question for anyone here. I just want to say that I love you for being here. I really do apologize for the impossibly long post. I won't do this anymore. I've just been reading all the posts for the last two hours and am feeling more hope than I have in a long, long time. I'm not alone. That means everything.

TeriDoodle
Wed, Aug-07-02, 07:44
You poor dear sweetheart. You have come to a wonderful place for love and support. You'll learn more here than you can possibly imagine and you are on the road to better health. Welcome. :bhug:

Are you still seeing your nutritionist? Have you ever consulted with an endocrinologist? I know you said noone is taking new patients, but can you get on a waiting list? In the meantime, keep asking around this forum for some guidance...visit the diabetes sub-forum and hook up with some of the experts there. There are so many who've stabilized their blood sugar beyond their wildest dreams...I'm sure you'll find some great support there.

Your experience with doctors is starting to sound very familiar. I've been on this board since March and have heard TOO many stories similar to yours. I'm not saying that physicians are worthless, they definitely are not that, but I have learned that we can't just simply entrust them blindly with our health. We are ultimately responsible for or own health and doing the research (thank God for the internet!) so that we can make informed choices. If a doctor you've chosen doesn't seem to be listening, then pick a new one. That's just the way it is.

Above all, keep in touch and let us know how you're progressing. Ask any questions that come to mind. We'll help any way we can.

Wombat
Wed, Aug-07-02, 09:57
Wow, I don't know what to say.

I'm starting prereqs for nursing so whenever I hear about doctors not paying attention or caring about their patients, I just see red. Grrrrrr :mad: Frustrates me to no end. Some people have NO business being in the medical profession.

Here's giving you a hug. :bhug: I believe that because you are DETERMINED to find a solution, you WILL.

da BAT

Talon
Wed, Aug-07-02, 10:11
Welcome tot he forum, you have definately come to the right place!

Why not try posting a typical daily menu of your food consumption, the eagle eyed forum members here will help point out any trouble foods for others. Everyone is different, and what affects others might not affect you, but it would be a great place to start!

destro
Wed, Aug-07-02, 10:36
I just want to welcome you and encourage you to keep on posting. A journal is a good thing since you can keep all of your posts and your "history" in one convenient place.

I can identify with some of your problems. As a Type II diabetic, I have had to give up sugar. It was a huge struggle until I found this Way of Eating. The cravings went away really quite quickly--I just don't remember how long. Although I still deal with cravings and emotional eating, the cravings now are directed at things like nuts and cheese. My blood sugar has been excellent and that has helped me in many ways--emotionally and physically.

Please stick around. There are so many knowledgeable and helpful people here. I don't have much knowledge, myself, but can say that LS is working for me beautifully and in many unexpected ways as well.

Take good care!

Natalie

Lisa N
Wed, Aug-07-02, 14:49
Wow! You really have been through such a rough time of it! I'd also like to encourage you to start a journal. There are a lot of very helpful and knowledgable people here who, although not doctors, have been where you are and may have a lot of helpful suggestions for you. Write what your daily menu looks like and how it makes you feel or what it does to your blood sugars (you can also print it later to show to your dietician and/or doctor). Journaling is also very therapeutic in that it lets you see what you're thinking...sounds a bit crazy, but it helps for me to write it, then come back later and read it when I'm in a different mindset. I read in another post of yours that you have a glucometer...good for you! Keep testing and let your glucometer be your guide in controlling your blood sugars. Avoid those foods that tend to spike your blood sugars, keep those that don't. As a 10 year type 2 diabetic, I have to say that nothing I have tried so far has kept my blood sugars as stable as low carbing. Everyone's different, though. What causes me to spike may have very little effect on another diabetic.
Last of all, welcome! We're here to support you, so please feel free to ask all the questions you like.
I wish you great success!

Lisa