PDA

View Full Version : fiber supplements

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums

Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

maggie3456
Tue, Aug-06-02, 08:18
Hi newbie here with a question.....I was wondering about taking a fiber supplement....do any of you and does it effect your weight loss?
I have benefiber..its no sugar 4 carbs per table spoon......3 grams of fiber...i know i read somewhere you can substract fiber grams from carbs to get an actual carb count but not sure how this is done or figured....
ingrediants in the benifiber are natural hydrolyzed Guar gum (what ever that is???????] a 100% natural fiber.....
my sister swears by this stuff....has helped lots of her stomach problems but she isnt low carbing.....
any advice anyone???????
thanks much
maggie :)

doreen T
Tue, Aug-06-02, 08:35
hi Maggie,

I've never used Benefiber myself, but I know of others who have, and yes, it's a useful source of soluble fiber, which can help to keep the bowel happy and regular. Unlike psyllium (Metamucil), Benefiber does not add bulk, so is not helpful for diarrhea if that's a problem.

Just be sure to count the 1 gram of digestible carb for each serving :)

Another caution: don't take the Benefiber, or ANY fiber supplement, at the same time as other supplements or prescription medications. Especially minerals such as calcium, thyroid hormone and birth control pills ;) .. the fiber interfere's with their absorption. Take these other meds and supps. at least an hour away from the fiber dose.

hth,

Doreen

maggie3456
Wed, Aug-07-02, 08:33
Hi doreen thanks for the reply :)
I didnt know about taking your meds seperate from the benefiber......good advice as i take several perscription meds and supplaments :)
thanks again
maggie :)