PDA

View Full Version : homemade mayo??

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums

Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

ruby2z
Tue, Jul-30-02, 15:44
Does anyone know how to make homemade mayo? I am finding it difficult to find sugar free mayo or "pure pressed" so thought I would make my own. I also noticed that many sauce recipes call for egg whites and thought I could use the yolks for mayo.
TIA
Ruby

lisaf
Wed, Jul-31-02, 06:38
This seems to be a pretty typical recipe...I'd use a blender instead of the beaters:

http://www.hugs.org/Mayonnaise.shtml

There is a similar recipe in the SP Cookbook (of course)

Lisa

Karen
Wed, Jul-31-02, 08:57
But of course! Three different methods are below.

Hand-Made Mayonnaise
Makes approximately 1 1/4 cups (300 mL)

2 large egg yolks, at room temperature
1 tsp. Dijon mustard
1/4 tsp. sea salt
1 cup extra-virgin olive oil or vegetable oil
5-6 tsp. lemon juice

First, secure the bowl you are going to use. Wet a dish towel and ring it dry. Form a ring with the towel on the counter and firmly place a medium-sized bowl in the center. Wiggle the bowl around. Is it secure? If not, adjust the towel to hold the bowl securely.

Place the egg yolks, mustard and salt in the bowl and whisk to blend well. Whisk in 1/3 cup (80 mL) of the oil, a drop at a time. When the mixture starts to thicken you can relax a bit. Whisk in the remaining oil in a slow steady stream. It’s OK to take a break every now and then to give your wrist a rest. When all the oil is incorporated, stir in the lemon juice. Taste and adjust the seasoning with more mustard, lemon juice and salt if you like.

My Mayonnaise Has Curdled!

Your mayonnaise may curdle if the oil was added to quickly, but never fear, it can be fixed! Start was above with 1 egg yolk and whisk in 1 tsp. (5 mL) Dijon mustard. Again, drop by drop, beat in the curdled mayonnaise. If it is too thick to whisk at any point, add a bit of warm water to thin it out. When you are half way through, it is safe to add the curdled mixture more quickly. If there is any oil remaining from the less-than-perfect attempt, beat it in at the end.

Mayonnaise by Machine
Makes approximately 1 1/4 cups (300 mL)

1 large egg, at room temperature
1 large egg yolk, at room temperature
1-2 tsp. Dijon mustard
1/4 tsp. sea salt
1 Tbsp. warm water
5-6 tsp. lemon juice

Place the egg, egg yolk, mustard and salt in the workbowl of a food processor, hand-held blender or blender. With the motor running, blend in 1/3 cup (80 mL) of the oil, a drop at a time. When the mixture starts to thicken add the water and then add the remaining oil in a slow steady stream. When all the oil is incorporated, blend in the lemon juice. Taste and adjust the seasoning with more lemon juice, mustard and salt if you like.

Mayonnaise with Cooked Egg Yolk
Makes approximately 1 1/2 cups (360 mL)

2 large egg yolks
2 Tbsp. lemon juice
2 Tbsp. water
1 tsp. Dijon mustard
1/4 tsp. sea salt

Select a small, heavy, frying pan or pot to cook the egg mixture in. Then, fill a larger baking dish with water and ice and place in the sink.

Place the yolks, lemon juice and water in the small pan and combine with a rubber spatula. Place the pan over very low heat and stir constantly until the mixture begins to thicken. Remove from the heat immediately and rest in the ice bath, stirring until cool. Scrape into a food processor or blender. Add the mustard and salt. With the motor running, blend in 1/3 cup (80 mL) of the oil, a drop at a time. When the mixture starts to thicken add the remaining oil in a slow steady stream.

Spice Up That Mayonnaise!

Mayonnaise makes an ideal sauce or accompaniment to all kinds of foods. It can be thinned down with water to make it pourable – think salad dressing – and you can even fold whipped cream into it to make it lighter and fluffier. Adding a little spice to mayonnaise can turn a meal into a feast. Here are a few suggestions…

- Minced garlic
- Curry Powder
- Horseradish
- Prepared wasabi paste
- Lemon, lime or orange zest
- Tarragon and minced shallots for a Bernaise flavoured sauce that is marvelous with beef
- Canned chipotle chilies, minced
- Basil, garlic and Parmesan cheese
- Jalapeño chilies and cumin seeds
- Cilantro, lime juice and pureed avocado
- Oil-packed sun-dried tomatoes, minced

Karen

TheBetty
Wed, Jul-31-02, 12:20
Karen, thank you for that excellent post about mayo!