PDA

View Full Version : Hi, I have some ?'s about schwarzbein

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums

Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

skipper
Mon, Jul-29-02, 22:16
Hi, I've currently been doing Body for Life. Well, I changed the workout routine some but I've been doing the eating plan. I am on week 9 and am extremely bored with it. I really am tired of all the sweet potatoes, brown rice and oatmeal. It's just not working for me. I have seen no fat loss but I did gain muscle.
After reading about sugar sensitivity, I realize where some of my problems are. Maybe it's the same way with carbs too.

I am considering the schwarzbein principle. But I have a couple of questions.
- Is this plan good for someone who is active and into weight training? I am just curious if anyone here weight trains and does this plan. Because I dont want to lose muscle (would actually like to gain some)

-could someone give me the basics so I can start while I wait for the book to arrive?

- Is there a certain amount of protein on this plan? I mean is their a maximum you cant go over? Cause I usually eat alot of protein.

-Is this diet plan alot of preparation and planning? I mean is it endless hours of cooking?

lisaf
Tue, Jul-30-02, 06:30
Hi Skipper - welcome to the low carb forum!

I'll take your questions one at a time...

1. Yes a number of us weight train (including me). The SP is great for weight training! You are getting carbs for energy and excellent protein for maintaining lean body mass. There are fewer carbs than in BFL (by the way...there is a BFL group in the exercise forum and Natrushka has posted a great thread about BFL and low-carbing I suggest you read). One of the benefits of SP is that it allows more carbs the more active you are.

2. I'm hesitant to give you basics because although the plan is easy to follow it can be hard to explain. My suggestion for while you are waiting is to focus on eating protein and non-starchy vegetables and allow yourself one small portion of high fibre carbs or starchy veggies per meal.

3. There is no max to protein...and there are no limitations on the source of protein...eat lots of eggs!

4. Planning and preparation depends on you. Personally I enjoy the cooking and planning part but many people don't. I do think that being willing to put in some time can cure some of the boredom issues that happen with following certain eating lifestyles.

Hope this helps. Lisa

razzle
Tue, Jul-30-02, 08:57
Boredom with food can be a problem for people on LC plans. I addressed mine by making a commitment to trying a new meat recipe every week and trying a new vegetable every week. For me, that did the trick--no more boredom!

My main quibble with TSP is that I am convinced that grains are not good for us; I always choose higher-carb veggies, fruit or potatoes instead.

skipper
Tue, Jul-30-02, 09:26
Thanks for the replies!
Does anyone know how the schwarbein principle differs from the Protein Power Plan?

The only problem I would see having is with the veggies. It's so hard to keep fresh veggies in the fridge all the time. And it''s a lot of prep doing all that cutting up of veggies. I have been eating low fat for so long that the only way I know to eat veggies is plain, so then I dont like eating them.

I dont think I would get bored with all the protein. I did get bored on body for life with the carbs. Plain brown rice and plain oatmeal got old really fast. There's not alot of room for recipes on that plan.

lisaf
Tue, Jul-30-02, 11:13
Skipper - check out the Low-Carb Plans link above for of the low-carb plans out there including SP and PP.

As for veggies - trust me when I tell you they are a lot more fun to eat (not necessarily prepare) when you know you can drown 'em in butter and smother salads w/ a good caesar dressing.

Lisa