PDA

View Full Version : before & after photos of son & husband!

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums

Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Yan
Mon, Jul-29-02, 10:04
I wasn't going to post photos until both my son and husband reached their goals, but the difference in 3 months on low-carbing is nothing short of amazing!

My son, now an amazing 165 lbs.! -14 years old, (5' 9") initiated all of this, and his determination is paying off. My son, who weighed 198 lbs. (despite him telling me he was only 189 at the beginning of May/02- he was just too embarassed to give us the real number), has so far lost 33 lbs!! His goal (he also works out every second day on weight training) is 150 lbs. Only 16 lbs. to go.

My husband was 269 lbs. beginning of May/02 and is now 229 lbs. (6' 3 1/2"). His goal is 205 lbs. 24 lbs. to go.

Wonderful, wonderful! Both are a lot happier with the way they look, but their energy levels have increased two-fold. I can't say enough about low-carbing! :cheer:

Yan
Mon, Jul-29-02, 10:07
Well, I can't figure out how to post the images of before and after side by side, so I'll have to post the pictures separately. The first photo was taken in MAY/02. This photo of son and husband is taken in JUNE/02.

Yan
Mon, Jul-29-02, 10:08
And here is the most recent photo of son & husband taken in JULY (just last week!).

harpseal
Mon, Jul-29-02, 10:10
They look wonderful!!! As a new person I look forward to my 3-4 months down the road after LCbing!!! Keep up the great work guys.

Yan
Mon, Jul-29-02, 10:15
Thanks. Good luck on your endeavour! Remember...One step at a time!

KristiTalm
Mon, Jul-29-02, 11:38
They both look great! Extra kudos for your son who recommended low carbing for the family. To do this as a family might have been the deciding factor between success and no success. You all deserve an extra congrats for having an open mind to LC.

Congrats to all of you! :clap:

Thanks for posting the pictures. I too, LOVE before and after photos.

Kristi

zoom
Mon, Jul-29-02, 11:45
They look so happy and healthy!! This is more proof that LC is the way to be!!!!

Yan
Mon, Jul-29-02, 12:41
Thanks everyone for the congrats. Both husband and son understand this is going to be a way of eating as opposed to a "diet". Took my son out for lunch the other day and he asked the waiter (a young 22 year old) for the spinach salad with sliced chicken on top. The waiter said it came with cheese bread to which my son said "no hold the bread or any croutons or anything that resembles a carb". The waiter replied with "why would you want to watch your carbs, you don't need to loose any weight!" The immense smile on my son's face was bigger than the restaurant. What a delight!

niksauntie
Mon, Jul-29-02, 13:34
Congrats to all of you. Your guys look great and SSOOOO happy!!!!

rhubarb
Sat, Aug-03-02, 13:20
Wow! Think how happy your son will be when school starts this Fall!

Congratulations to all of you ...
Rhu

Kristine
Sun, Aug-04-02, 20:36
Congratulations to you all! Your young lad must be quite a kid - it's very responsible to be concerned with your health that that age! He's on the way to good habits for life. Contrast that to kids who, like I did, don't care what they eat because they know they'll live forever. :)

Yan
Sun, Aug-04-02, 21:00
Thanks, Kristine. Yes, I too was quite surprised that he took this on himself and willingly has stayed with it. My hope now is that these new eating habits STICK! I mean, he's only 14, and oh man, I suspect when he gets into those older teen years, it might be quite tempting to hit dairy queen and all of the fast food places that I used to frequent! I'm keeping my fingers crossed!

He's now 11 lbs. from his goal and I suspect he'll make his goal JUST AS HE ENTERS his senior year in Junior High this September. I have been adding carbohydrates (the good ones) weekly to slow down his weight loss so I can teach him how to hold the goal and still allow for his continued growth.

cre8tivgrl
Thu, Aug-22-02, 14:49
Great job to both of them! What an inspiration!

Shelley

kypraia
Thu, Aug-22-02, 23:16
Congratulations to your son and your husband--but you sound like an AWESOME mom!!

I bet your son will feel a real improvement in his self-esteem at school this fall. That will be a great reward on top of looking great and being more healthy. He certainly does have a mature attitude!! When I was 14, I hated being fat but I sure didn't want to cut out the sweets. Hats off to the whole family!

Best,
Kypraia

Yan
Thu, Aug-22-02, 23:44
Thanks for the compliment on the Mom thing but I have to give credit where it is due and it was my son's incredible desire to loose the fat and get normal that motivated me. He is now 9 lbs away from goal! These last 9 lbs. are coming off a lot slower than the first few months. He went to the dentist today whom he hadn't seen in a year and the dentist asked if he was a new patient! :lol:
Michael said "it's me, Michael, remember?" and when the doc looked at his chart, he exclaimed what a totally different teenager he was from 1 year ago. So the strokes he gets continuously from his peers and our friends just makes him feel fabulous and super, super confident. This has definitely been a banner 6 month stretch for him in terms of accomplishment.

So, yes, I am pleased my teen maintains his motivation. You know he was dropping weight so quickly (or so I thought) I've been buying clothes for him each month at a consignment store. I just couldn't afford to buy new clothes each month. I've promised him brand new (retail!) for the start of school. This is the kid who went from a 43 inch waist to a 34 inch waist right now. Isn't this remarkable! I've kept one pair of his old pants and going to take a photo when he hits goal and have him put them on so he has that to refer to. We keep photos on the fridge when both he and my husband were major overweight and I post the monthly shots I take and put them up alongside. Whenever my son or husband go to the fridge, the first thing they see are those photos!

On the sweet thing, my son loves to cook, and so I taught him how to cook the low carb things and he knows how to check the labels in the supermarket. I bought him an ice cream maker so he could learn to make low carb ice cream and he's got that down. He has learned how to make a mean low carb cheesecake and is learning as he goes. Sweets luckily, are not a regular thing in our household so the low carb ice cream once a week is quite acceptable.

One of the first things I did when the guys got started on their weight loss was have them help me clear out the pantry, fridge and cupboard of all things that had big carbs. We packed them up and took them to a local charity. I still find it hard to believe that we have not had sugar or potatoes or yams or pasta in the house for 5 months!

I go away to my parents (out of province) early September for a week and my husband and son will be cooking totally on their own. They have already got their meals planned for that week and it is on the fridge. I'll post their photos when they hit goal. My husband is now at 224 lbs. and he is delighted and feeling great. He initially wanted only to go to 205-210 but has now decided he'd like to go to 200. That's his best looking weight so I imagine he'll get there.

Thanks again for the encouragement. :roll:

Yan
Mon, Sep-23-02, 00:21
I've just taken photos of my son, Michael, today and he is currently 4 lbs. from goal! And wow! does he look spectacular! :thup: His school peers in junior high just flipped as well as his teachers at how dramatically a different young man he is. He just doesn't look like the same boy, but I know with his constant sense of humor and wit and the eyes, he has GROWN a lot emotionally over this past 6 months! His sense of self is just so wonderful to experience as a parent. Class participation has jumped, grades have improved and his participation in phys ed has now become an enjoyable experience. I went away for a week and my husband and son stayed the course on the low-carb WOE and when I returned, both were still dropping the unwanted weight.

Today, I took photos of my son in his new 32" waist pants then took a photo of him in his old "army fatigue" pants we had bought him last Christmas. They're both going on the fridge so he can see his dramatic results. My husband is now 220 lbs. and feeling great; he too continues with this way of eating and he says he hasn't felt better in years.