PDA

View Full Version : need encouragement...

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums

Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

obxpoohmom
Fri, Jul-26-02, 12:35
I decided to post here because I figured more people read this. I started my lo-carb Monday and was doing really good, then Thursday came and now I'm doing terrible. I'm dealing with some difficult emotional issues that got worse Thursday and as usual, I turned to carbs for comfort. This is a terrible pattern that I have to figure out how to break. If there is anyone else out there that is not only fighting the battle of the bulge, but also the battle of the emotional bulge, please feel free to e-mail me at sweet_november9~hotmail.com and let's see if we can help one another overcome this emotional abuse we are inflicting upon ourselves. And just for the record, I AM NOT GIVING UP!!!!!!

Talon
Fri, Jul-26-02, 13:22
When I find myself reaching for food when I am upset, I stop and ask myself "Are you really hungry, or is this just one of the reaction times?" 10 out of 10 times it is reaction to the emotional stress. I've found myself making bargins with myself, I go drink some water and tell myself that if in 30-60 minutes if I still want it, I will have it. So far, I've not made it past that time and ate it!

Even if I find myself just plan bored, and reaching for that food. I ask "Do you just want this, or do you need it?" Answer is always: want it. I also ask, "Is the few minutes of pleasure on the mouth worth all the consequences?" Nope.

I think you will find quite a few people on this forum who have trouble with emotional eating. We just have to find the way that works for us, to re-teach ourselves that food is not a cure.

Janiceb
Fri, Jul-26-02, 14:18
Old habits are hard to break. I know I want to eat sometimes out of pure boredom. I also have battled food associations. Sometimes I am doing a certain activity or in a specific location and I get a sudden urge to have a high carb food. Those old habits you know! I immediately challenge myself by reviewing all the reasons I have chosen the low carb WOE (most health reasons). Be strong, be kind to yourself and you WILL be successful! :)