PDA

View Full Version : B Vitamins??

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums

Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

sweetiepie
Thu, Jul-25-02, 16:51
In her book, DS talks about taking B vitamins, but does not say how much? Does anyone here know what a *good* amount would be? I just bought some multivitamins that contain 100mg of each of the B's. Will this work? Thanks,

doreen T
Thu, Jul-25-02, 22:29
hi sweetiepie,

In the section on vitamins (p 272), she recommends taking a "stress B-complex" with breakfast. Most stress formulas I've seen contain 50 - 100mg of the major B-vitamins. So your multi's would be fine. B-vitamins aren't stored .. what your body doesn't use will be flushed out in the urine. Which means it's hard to take too much. It also means you need to replenish them every day. IMHO, most general multiple vitamins you buy off the grocery or department store shelf are WAY too low in B-complex. The super, or stress, or forte formulas are much better.

Doreen

TheBetty
Fri, Jul-26-02, 10:19
We get our "Super B-Complex" at Costco. It's made by NATURE MADE and contains vitamin C and folic acid. Here's the details on the label:

Vit C 150mg
Thiamin 100 mg
Riboflavin 20mg
Niacin 25mg
Vit B6 2mg
Folic Acid 400mcg
Vit B12 15mcg
Biotin 5 mcg
Panthothenic Acif 5.5mg
Dried Yeasts 100mg

These are all natural, no additives like gluten or sugar. Comes with 300 tablets. I take one each morning with breakfast--and what a difference taking these has made in my energy level and overall functioning!

I also take a Chromium GTF (glucose tolerance factor) w/breakfast for help with cravings. REally does work. A book I read years ago (carb addicts diet) states that many carb cravers are lacking GTF Chromium, which is different than other types of chromium like picolinate.

I do have a calcium magnesium supplement, but I always forget to take it since I don't take it at breakfast, usually with lunch. :o

If you have a membership to Costco wholesale, I highly recommend you check out their supplements. Their prices are great and you can get them in larger quantities that are not close dated like some stores' vitamins.

Hope this helps. --Betty

sweetiepie
Fri, Jul-26-02, 11:41
Thank you Betty and Doreen for your help. It looks like I am good to go! HUGS,