PDA

View Full Version : Hello

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums

Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Sheldon
Thu, Jul-25-02, 14:37
Hello, all. I've been a low-carber for over two weeks. I'm doing Atkins and I'm still in Induction. I've lost a few pounds, but I've been tired and I'm not sure why. (I'm only about three pounds from my target. I wasn't much overweight.) Meanwhile, my doctor wants to put me on a low-fat diet because of high cholesterol. I plan to explain to him that I want to see if a few months of Atkins will bring down the LDL level. If he resists, I'll get a second opinion from a doctor who is more open to alternatives. This has been somewhat stressful, but I'll manage. There is so much conflicting advice flying around.

Anyway, I'm looking forward to reading all the informative material on this forum. Thanks, all, for being there.

Sheldon

Atriana
Thu, Jul-25-02, 19:42
Hi Sheldon!
Welcome to the board!
Personally, my cholesterol numbers dropped dramatically when I started eating this way.
As far as being tired, are you taking supplements? A good multi, with additional potassium, magnesium, and calcium is the bare minimum.
Hope to hear more from you.

Sheldon
Fri, Jul-26-02, 08:23
Thanks for the response. I've been taking Centrum Silver. Maybe I need more of the three things you mention. Today's my visit with the doctor. I know he's going to push a low-fat diet for hyperlipidemia on me. But I have some questions for him. :)

Sheldon

Sheldon
Fri, Jul-26-02, 14:12
Well, I'm back from the doctor. He pooh-poohed the idea that any diet will lower my bad cholesterol. He's convinced that my body just makes too much. (There seems to be a family history, but my family eats lots of carbs.) He wants me to go on pills, but he agreed to "let" me go two months on Atkins. Then I'll take another blood test. Meanwhile, I'm going to consult another doctor who is more open to other approaches.

Sheldon

Janiceb
Fri, Jul-26-02, 14:23
Boy is your doctor going to be surprised! My cholestrol and tryglercides improved 10000000% in 3 months. I think doctors just get ticked off when someone else actually knows what they're talking about and can make a difference in their own health. You are smart to look for another doctor that at least believes what you have to say. Good luck!

Sheldon
Fri, Jul-26-02, 14:31
This is the same doctor who, when I asked why I might be tired so much, said: It's depression from a chemical imbalance in your brain. Sheesh!

Sheldon