PDA

View Full Version : New Life

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums

Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

tcr
Tue, Jul-23-02, 17:41
Hi there,

This is my first ever introduction to a group online and I'm excited.
I'm 47 and moved to Toronto a year ago. I found this site by accident. I used to live in Vancouver and dined at Karen Barnaby's restaurant - When I saw her recent photo I was blown away - didn't recognize you at all! So I read everything online about low carbs, everything, everywhere!
My story is about 5 years ago I gained 50 lbs in a few months from sudden hypo-thyroid. I am not a dieter. My idea of a diet is instead of a large pizza I would order a medium. Most of my life I've been 130-140 and then hit 203 this year. A recent divorce netted me a 10lb loss(silver lining). Now as a new single person starting a new life in a new city with a new business I thought what the heck...why not have a new way of life in a new body as I move into my 50's as a single.
I bought the Atkins book......from what I've read you've got to read it to know it and it really does make a difference.
I started July 12 at 193 and in 10 days I am down to 184. I am working out 20 min a day for 5 days first thing in the morning.
I'm having a hard time believing it and expect the weight loss to stop any day now but I am sticking with this induction until the weekend. I keep wondering if this is just a water thing or will it continue? Or will my low metabolic rate keep me from my goal? But I keep going.
I am lucky, my favourite food is cheese. I am experiencing some difficulties eating all this meat though. My partner was vegetarian so I ate very little. Karen's recipes help.
I want to express my gratitude to all of you who continue to support each other. I am inspired by you all and look forward to sharing my victories. Thanks for being there!

LittleAnne
Wed, Jul-24-02, 03:47
Hi Tcr and welcome to this forum. You will find the members, including Karen, very supportive and there is a lot of useful information and advice to be found here.

Sounds like you are doing very well on induction. Hopefully the weight will continue to come off in the following weeks. You are now into loosing fat as you will have used up all your carbohydrate stores and the water associated with them.

Why not start a journal to keep track of your progress. See sticky at the top of the page. Visit others journals to see how they have got on. Have you left a message in Karen's journal yet?

The low carb way of life prevents you from being hungry and thus binging on other foods. This is good, but you must eat enough calories, otherwise you body will think it is going into starvation mode and will stop your weight loss dead.

Look forward to hearing more about how you are getting on. I'm also 47 and single, but live in the UK.

Doodle
Wed, Jul-24-02, 04:04
Welcome... and ENJOY!!!
For a first time online group member... this must be one of the best to start on! You are going to find a new addiction in this forum... better than carbs though!
Doods.

obxpoohmom
Wed, Jul-24-02, 09:24
Welcome, Welcome, Welcome. I'm 41 and single, well I better clarify that or my boyfriend might get little upset, lol. I live in North Carolina and my boyfriend lives in Canada, so sometimes I truly feel single. Sounds like you are doing great!! I commend you on your hardwork, including the workouts, wish I could get myself into that routine. I just started this week and am doing good. Look forward to getting to know another Canadian.