PDA

View Full Version : How long to Ketosis?

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums

Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Cdiana9
Sat, Jul-20-02, 17:34
I have been reading and reading trying to find this question but i have had no luck and finaly decided to just ask it myself. I fell off the wagon last week while my family was in town..fell bad. :bash: I gained two lbs back but i have been back on the LC WOE for about three days. I have lost the two lbs but i still dont seem to be in ketosis. I use the Ketostix every day to encourage myself that i am doing it right and they simply are still not turning after three days. Does anyone know if there is a general amount of time it takes to get back into ketosis after falling off the wagon? thanks :wave:

wallylu
Mon, Jul-22-02, 12:01
Hi there,

From what I've read around this forum, you should be back on track within 3-4 days. If the Ketostix don't turn, it could be because you are doing well with drinking lots of water???

The following quote can be found at the link below:

"Ketones will spill into the urine ONLY when there is more in the blood than is being used as fuel by the body at that particular moment.

You may have exercised or worked a few hours previously, so your muscles would have used up the ketones as fuel, thus there will be no excess. You may have had a lot of liquids to drink, so the urine is more diluted. Perhaps the strips are not fresh, or the lid was not on tight and some moisture from the atmosphere got in.

Some low carbers NEVER show above trace or negative even ... yet they burn fat and lose weight just fine. If you're losing weight, and your clothes are getting looser, you're feeling well and not hungry all the time .. then you are successfully in ketosis. Don't get hung up on the strips; they're just a guide, nothing more. "

http://www.lowcarb.ca/tips/tips011.html

:cheer:

HANG IN THERE!!!!

:cheer:

PS. I'm on induction day 8 after doing LC half-arsed for a month. I'm down 10lbs!!!!

Lu

Cdiana9
Mon, Jul-22-02, 17:03
Thanks lu for that information. I have never heard about the water having an affect on the ketostics. I do drink tons of water each day. That is good information to have. I have lost 3 more lbs since i wrote that and am only 2 lbs away from being below 200 again for the first time in 13 years. I am so excited i can't stand it..LOL. So even though the sticks are not turning yet i know i am doing it right. Thanks agian.

CONGRATS on your success!!!! :Party:

Di

wallylu
Thu, Jul-25-02, 13:19
OK, you and I are going to SMASH through that barrier in no time!!

You're way closer than I am, so LEAD THE WAY!!!! I'm coming through!!

jazzyflyer
Thu, Aug-01-02, 14:24
okay okay okay .. I was well on my way to losing when what did I do??? I gave up!!!! I've been gone for to long and gained back what I lost and then some .....

Starting all over again and need LOTS of encouragment ... putting out a mayday for any and all LCing partners!!!!