PDA

View Full Version : How does one start LC diet????

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums

Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

tishish
Thu, Jul-18-02, 20:41
Hello team members of LC. That must also be short form for Love and Care. I've never been on a diet, I've been walking for the past 5 years. monday-friday (30 minutes a day). I haven't lost weight but hey! I haven't put weight on. I just walk so I won't be a diabetic statistic. This is my plan. But I have been eating a lot of sweets lately. I would like to join the LC team.
Take care I sure hope I can learn about LC way to better health. But how do I start???

Rosebud
Thu, Jul-18-02, 21:13
Hi Tishish, and welcome! :wave:

The most likely way to lose weight consistently and permanently is to choose a particular low carb plan. To the right of the screen, you will see "Which Low Carb Plan is Right For Me?"
If you click on that, you will see a synopsis of various LC (low carb - although we do a lot of lovin' and caring here too! :p ) plans. Once you choose the plan that will best suit you and your lifestyle, I strongly recommend that you then purchase the appropriate book and read it thoroughly. It is also a good idea to go to the library and read some of the other books as well.
Knowledge is power!

Low carbing is so very different from so-called "normal eating" that it really does help to know what you are doing.

Have a good look around here. There is an orange bar at the top of the screen with a lot of interesting and useful information. I would especially suggest that you look at "Low Carb Tips" up there.

Congratulations on your walking programme. That will stand you in good stead as you move into your new low carb WOL (way of life).

Best wishes on your low carb journey.

:rose:Rosebud:rose:

Kristine
Fri, Jul-19-02, 09:11
Hi Tishish! I know this seems a little overwhelming at first - after all, what do you eat if you don't eat bread and pasta? Fortunately, you have many choices. Trial and error is perfectly fine - that's how we all learn. So take it easy, do some reading and see what you think. :)

Rosebud pointed out that a lower carb way of life is different from "normal" eating, but it didn't used to be. Bacon and eggs for breakfast, fresh vegetables with butter, steak and salad... this used to be perfectly normal eating. I like to think that eating *processed* food and refined carbs is "not normal." It's all a matter of perspective. ;)

So good luck reducing those sweets, at the very least. :) Even if you don't decide to go completely low carb, it would do everyone a lot of good to cut way back on the refined carbs and sugar.

Take care! :)

razzle
Fri, Jul-19-02, 10:02
wow--never been on a diet! good for you! that means your weight loss will be optimal. So definitely think about doing whatever you do for the long term. Slow fat loss on a program that you can live with forever is much better than quick loss and a quick re-gain. :)

The first thing to do, and that should satisfy nearly every program, is go through your house and toss out everything with sugar (read labels) or flour in it. Give away unopened items to a food bank and throw the rest away. Processed carbs are the worst of all foods for us. In fact, just making that change would probably take those extra pounds off you in a year or two!

If you live with other people, they may protest at first, but you'll be doing them a favor. If they want those nutritionally bad carbs, they can have them when they eat out. I advise simply not having them around the house. Imagine the graphic that the board uses "This is a sugar free zone" over the entrance to your house!

Whole foods are so yummy and so very good for us. Making the change to eating meat, eggs, cheese, veggies, nuts, and fruits is truly the nicest gift you can give yourself.

welcome to the board!