PDA

View Full Version : Carb count for canned soybeans

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums

Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

doreen T
Wed, Feb-21-01, 21:03
hi all,

I remember reading a long time ago, that Eden Organic Soybeans had only 1 carb gram, after subtracting the fiber. This sounded too good to be true. I've been buying and using (on rare occasions) the el-cheapo Mr. Goudas soybeans, 59 cents a can at NoFrills. According to Corrine Netzer, 1/2 cup is 8.5 total carbs - 5.2 gm fiber. The can of Eden Organic Black Soybeans lists the following...... 1/2 cup serving.. 120 calories.... 11 gm protein, 5.7 gm fat, 8 gm carb, 1 gm sugar, 7 gm fiber.........

Well, I did the math.....
protein: 4 x 11 = 44 calories
fat: 9 x 5.7 = 51.3 calories,
sugar: 4 x 1 = 4 cal .....

44 + 51.3 + 4 = 99.3 calories........ so there are 20.7 calories unaccounted for. Since it ain't fiber, it MUST be starch carbs....... 5.2 grams of them.

It seems the $2.50 small can of organic beans is not the great carb bargain after all. Think I'll stick to my el-cheapo soybeans.... great in chili now and then ... Just beware.... if you haven't eaten beans in a while, soybeans are notorious for their "musical" quality .. :p

Doreen

Addendum - The Eden organic soybeans are prepared with Kombu seaweed. Many natural & macrobiotic food experts point out that kombu contains a substance that improves the digestibility of legumes. So, this may be a better choice if regular soybeans are too "gassy" for you. YMMV.

[Edited by doreen T on 23-02-01 at 13:07]