PDA

View Full Version : Hi! I'm low-carbing in Japan

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums

Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

SooCee
Wed, Jul-17-02, 21:21
Greetings from Japan

I've been lurking here for a few days and this web community is great! I'm new at low-carbing and aside from the Atkins web site this is my sole source of info on this WOE. I'm sure I will depend on you all a lot not only because of all the great info, but also because there is a really supportive atmosphere here. Thanks in advance.

After three and a half weeks low-carbing I'm starting to learn how to make the right food choices, but still have a way to go. Now that I'm supposed to branch out foodwise(a la Atkins OWL stage) it's harder to know what to eat. For example, I'd love to eat some fruit, but I've read that you should start with berries and I can't find *any* here in Japan this time of year. Likewise, meat choices are somewhat limited (and expensive). On the plus side the fish here is great. I've become quite the sashimi connoisseur. And there are some great Japanese veggies. Oh well, onward and upwards...

SooCee

lesleyc
Wed, Jul-17-02, 22:44
hi SooCee (again ;) )

Nice to have someone from Japan on board...As far as I am aware you are the first!

Is it possible to find frozen berries there? That's what we have to resort to in the off season

Nuts is another option to add in to OWL. But best of all is just getting in more veggies. Keep it simple until you are clear about the effect certain foods have on you. FOr example artificial sweetner, nuts, and dairy products casue some people to stall, so you'l l have to experiment a bit to see what works for you

Welcome to the site and I look forward to seeing some of your posts :wave:

Lesley

SooCee
Thu, Jul-18-02, 05:53
Thanks LC Mentor for the greetings and suggestion to look for frozen berries. I didn't expect to find any in my local supermarket, but decided to look anyway and I found frozen raspberries! This was quite a surprise since I'd never seen raspberries in any form in this neighboorhood. They were delicious and now I'm hoping they catch on in a big way in Japan so I can have fresh ones someday.

BTW, I think you may be right about the nuts during OWL. It's too early to know for sure, but the one time I tried (pea)nuts, I not only could not stop eating them, but didn't lose any weight for the next few days.

Thanks again for the tips.

SooCee