PDA

View Full Version : Protein in whole grains

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums

Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

LittleAbby
Wed, Jul-17-02, 18:11
Another beginner's question: I have a favorite bread from a bakery called "Julians" that consists entirely of whole grains, salt and water -- nothing else. One slice has 11 grams of carbohydrates and 8 grams of protein. Should I consider my protein requirement satisfied by this, or should I still supplement it with an extra protein source? Since it's all grains (mostly things like kamut and spelt), I'm inclined to do the latter.

Even so, it's a great bread with a relatively low carb count, and I recomend it heartily -- you can get it at Whole Foods, at least in Southern California, and it comes in a cylindrical-shaped small loaf.

Thoughts?

Thanks!
Abby

DebPenny
Wed, Jul-17-02, 20:12
Abby, the protein in grains and other plant foods, for the most part, is not complete. So you do need to get your protein elsewhere, although vegetarians will use food combining to complete the proteins (legumes with grain, grain with dairy, or dairy with legumes, will usually do it, although dairy really is a complete protein by itself).

I have one piece of toast a day with my breakfast of 2 eggs and a tomato. Sometimes I add homemade chorizo or bacon. I don't even look at the protein on the bread label.

The bread I like is Sprouted 8-Grain by Alvarado Bakery. But it's a "local" (northern California) bakery. I have only found their bread in the Bay Area and Sacramento. It has 11 grams of carbs with 2 of them being fibre for a net grams of 9 per slice. It's very tasty too.

BTW: Welcome to TSP! I know you'll love it.

;-Deb

lcon109
Wed, Jul-31-02, 16:22
This bread is available countrywide now! I just bought it in my local Shoprite in Delaware. (I think you might also be able to order it online.) I purchased the California Style, 10 g carb per slice, 2 g protein per slice. VERY good! Not that fake bread taste.

Had a BLT for dinner tonight along with a salad and I was in heaven!

Lisa

DebPenny
Wed, Jul-31-02, 19:58
I am so surprised! It started out in the Bay Area, and when I moved to Sacramento, I couldn't find it at all. Then it showed up at the local Natural Foods Co-op. I'm glad it's "everywhere" now. It's a great line of breads.

However, I have had to stop eating it because I have found that I react to bread with weight gain and reflux. So I'm back to my eggs with chorizo and tomatoes for breakfast. And if you're wondering about being able to find chorizo without nitrates... I make my own ;).

;-Deb