PDA

View Full Version : psyllium powder????

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums

Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Tanyaskees
Tue, Jul-16-02, 09:11
What is psyllium powder and where do I get it. I have seen it capsule form. Is there other ways to take it? Any feed back will be appritiated.

Bonnie
Tue, Jul-16-02, 09:25
There are several threads dealing with psyllium...I also have a pizza crust recipe made with psyllium husks...go to the seach button and type in psyllium and enjoy the threads :) ...I have linked you to one...B

http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?threadid=48878&highlight=Psyllium+Husks

Tanyaskees
Tue, Jul-16-02, 09:28
Thanks Bonnie :).

tofi
Tue, Jul-16-02, 09:29
I am not sure WHAT it is, but I do know it works. I think it is the husks (bran) of a kind of seed which is entirely fibre. It is the major ingredient of Metamucil.

Strangely enough, it is the treatment for BOTH constipation AND diarrhea. In the first, the fiber helps the body move the material on through. In the second, the fiber absorbs excess water, creating a more solid waste material.

Personally, I'd rather take the capsules than drink that stuff, even the sugar free version which has aspartame. Who needs extra artificial sweetener?

Go visit the threads above.

:wave:

Tanyaskees
Tue, Jul-16-02, 09:38
I have read the thread, it's great, thanks:). But I don't know where to get the powder form so I can useit in shakes. Any suggestions?

Natrushka
Tue, Jul-16-02, 09:39
You can actually use just psyllium husk/powder sans the metamucil (SF or not) - no artificial sweetener, no nothing. I mix a tbsp twice a day with a cup of hot water and some lemon to make it a little (I said little) more palatable ;)

It's a great way to add fiber to your daily menu w/o the carbs :)

Nat

Edited with p.s. - Tanya you can get the husks/powder at just about any health store. Bulk barn in Canada carries it - just ask at the counter.

Tanyaskees
Tue, Jul-16-02, 09:47
Thanks everyone, I will try to find it today, going to GNC later.

Tanyaskees
Tue, Jul-16-02, 12:46
Found it :). Thanks again everyone.

Kristine
Tue, Jul-16-02, 14:30
...I hope you didn't pay GNC's prices. :D

Tanyaskees
Tue, Jul-16-02, 14:34
I did :(. Too much? Oh well, live and learn. I will try to find it at the drug store now that I know what I am looking for.

Kristine
Tue, Jul-16-02, 15:03
Heh heh... yeah, they mark things way up. I'm an eggs-and-tuna el-cheapo, though. :D

Tanyaskees
Tue, Jul-16-02, 15:49
Hey, nothing wrong with that, I love eggs-and-tuna, had it for lunch today :). Drinking a keto shake with psyllium powder in it now, can't taste the difference.....not bad.

shawj11
Tue, Jul-30-02, 16:07
I, too paid the GNC prices :)
I bought both the capsules and the powder...I don't find the pills to be very effective in my opinion.
On the other hand, mixing the powder in water totally grosses me out..It gets sooo thick and just makes me gag.
If you are mixing it in shakes it is ok as long as you drink it quick.

Good Luck!
:wave:

Tanyaskees
Tue, Jul-30-02, 19:05
Hi Jennifer, I do mix it in shakes. It makes the shakes so thick, it's wonderful. I use the shake powder. Never tried to put it into the ready to drink kind, so not sure how it will taste.

nawchem
Wed, Jul-31-02, 18:20
I have a question about the metamucil. It has 5g carbs, 2 dietary fiber and 2 soluble fiber. How many do I count. Also does anyone know what soluble fiber is?

nancy

shawj11
Wed, Jul-31-02, 18:29
Well...I really don't know much about your last question...but I would love to know the answer..like I said..I can't even deal with the regular "psyllium powder". I've gotten some reply's that people like it..and it's thickness..but it grosses me out big time..so I am curious to see your responses.

Natrushka
Wed, Jul-31-02, 18:41
Originally posted by nawchem
I have a question about the metamucil. It has 5g carbs, 2 dietary fiber and 2 soluble fiber. How many do I count. Also does anyone know what soluble fiber is?

Fiber Facts: Soluble Fiber & Heart Disease (http://www.eatright.org/nfs/nfs88.html)
What is fiber?
Fiber is a substance found only in plants, such as fruits, vegetables, and grains. The part of the plant fiber that you eat is called dietary fiber and is an important part of a healthy diet. Dietary fiber is made up of two main types--insoluble and soluble.

What is the difference between insoluble and soluble fiber?

Soluble fiber forms a gel when mixed with liquid, while insoluble fiber does not. Insoluble fiber passes through your digestive tract largely intact. Both types of fiber are important in the diet and provide benefits to the digestive system by helping to maintain regularity. Soluble fiber has some additional benefits to heart health.

What are some good sources of soluble fiber?

Soluble fiber is found in oats, peas, beans, certain fruits, and psyllium (pronounced sil'e-um). Psyllium is a grain that is found in some cereal products, in certain dietary supplements, and in certain bulk fiber laxatives. Read labels carefully to check for the addition of psyllium.

What are the benefits of soluble fiber?

In additional to the digestive system benefits mentioned above, soluble fiber has been scientifically proven to reduce blood cholesterol levels, which may help reduce your risk of heart disease. In fact, the Food and Drug Administration recently authorized food companies to use a health claim for soluble fiber from both psyllium and oats. For example, the new claim for psyllium states, "Soluble fiber from foods with psyllium husk, as part of a diet low in saturated fat and cholesterol, may reduce the risk of heart disease."

And direct from Protein Power, your first question:

Fiber isn’t absorbed and should not be counted as a carbohydrate for the purpose of weight loss. This includes both "soluble fiber" and "insoluble fiber". Whether or not fiber is soluble in water does not alter the body's inability to use it as a carbohydrate.

Nat

nawchem
Thu, Aug-01-02, 08:28
thanks for the info, that was a great answer!

mrfreddy
Thu, Aug-01-02, 09:36
I seem to remember the good Dr. Atakinds advising (in his book or his website?) that you can feel perfectly free to use Metamusil - so long as you use the sugarless kind. I think the net carbs to you was just 1 - you can subtract all of the fiber from your count.

I basing this on memory though, you'll have to look it up to find out exactly what he says.