PDA

View Full Version : How many vitamins really necessary?

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums

Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

gary
Mon, Jul-15-02, 08:04
As my stats will tell you I am at an exciting moment being 35lbs down in 3.5 months induction and have 1 more pound to go. The question is how many extra vitamins do we really need if you subtract the hype and realize how little data there is to support some supplements? I currently take a Centrum equivalent one-a-day vitamin and that is it. No extra supplements. I feel pretty good with no extra ordinary problems that I perceive to be from the diet. I do struggle a little with getting muscles in shape and overuse. For example Saturday I had a heavy session of carpentry - hauling out my table saw, miter saw - all the stands. By the end of a long day my back was totally exhausted. The next day - worked out - ran a brisk mile followed by 12 nautiless machines and assorted other back excersises. Was totally wiped. Went to bed early Sunday and feel pretty good now on Monday. I really felt on Saturday I had consummed all the energy in my body - that I was right at the wall where you have no calories left. I could move only in slow motion and my wife wondered if I threw my back out. What could anybody recommend that may have a benefit that can be actually felt that is not just marginal, subjective or can be attributed only as a placebo effect. I have seen many people post at this site and say - I take all these supplements and feel great - I don't feel any different but the data says it is good for you so I take it. There is a lot of money spent on hype! My personal opinion is that 90% of what vitamin stores peddle is bogus! What out of the 10% remaining is worth the money? :q:

Jinkster
Mon, Jul-15-02, 15:21
Well, I don't take vitamins because of the hype...for example, I had insomnia until I took calcium w/ magnesium, which cleared it right up. And I wasn't feeling swell after workouts until I started taking potassium, which definitely lessened my fatigue.

There are vitamins I tend to take on faith, like C and E, but on the whole I take supplements because they work for ME, not because I read in a book that they'd help me lose weight ;) Sure there is exaggeration in the industry...and if you feel fine without supplements maybe you truly don't need them. Everyone is different. But as long as it's not too much trouble for me, I like to hedge my bets!

-Jinkster :wave:

gary
Mon, Jul-15-02, 20:10
That is good info. There is enough potasium in a banana for 1 days requirement. I don't remember how much. The Centrum equiv one a day has 80 mcg - this equivalent is called Sentry-Vite, Spring Valley - found at Wall Mart.

Jinkster
Tue, Jul-16-02, 04:42
lol, I wish I could eat a banana for potassium on this diet :) Unfortunately, one medium-sized banana would give me most of my carbs for the day!

Lisa N
Tue, Jul-16-02, 04:58
If you feel you need extra potassium and don't want to take a pill, there are a couple of other ways (besides high carb bananas) to get it. You can use a salt substitute made with potassium chloride or your can eat more spinach, broccoli and avacados; all are naturally high in potassium, far more than bananas without all the extra carbs.