PDA

View Full Version : Newbie, BIG TIME!

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums

Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

washbabe56
Sun, Jul-14-02, 09:29
This is totally new to me, I hope I'm in the right place! I am in the hopes that this journal/forum will be as valuable to me as my journal at quitsmokingdiaries.com was. Without the support and information from my quit buddies at that site, I would never have succeeded in kicking the habit after 30 years of smoking! Man, it feels good!
NOW, it's time to tackle the weight issue. I gained 25-30 lbs. in this last year+, and I've been trying to adhere to a carb diet plan for the last 6-7 weeks. I initially lost 10 lbs. and now I'm stalled!
The format of this place is a little mind boggling for me, but I hope to find my way around by trial and error. I look forward to making new friends and giving/receiving support.
I'm a 46 year old mom of two, grandma of two, married, and wash cars for a living, so I'm relatively physically active. I also have a big yard, lots of grass to mow, veggie garden to weed, etc. so I keep pretty busy. Sometimes I wonder how I could be overweight!
So here's to new friendships, new perspectives, and a new, healthier body!

Talon
Sun, Jul-14-02, 10:10
Welcome! :wave:

I found the forum a bit overwhelming at first too, but you get used to it. I especially like the "Find New Posts" on the main screen (right under your "avitar" and/or username) it saves a lot of searching through each forum.

Good luck in this WOE!

CMMoM
Tue, Jul-16-02, 00:54
Way to go on kicking the smoking habit. I never smoked, but know so many people who have struggled, and if it's anything like overeating, I know it was a great challenge for you!

The forum can be overwhelming, in fact, I just got back to it today, after trying a couple of times and getting frustrated. (My sister is using it fully, and keeps talking about it, so I decided to try again.)

Today, I found a page talking about stalls, I believe it was on the Low-Carb Tips menu, but I'm not sure. Keep browsing, you'll find it.

Today, I'm back low-carbing after a year or so. I had good success back then, but got sick of the food. Now, with the help of this forum, my mom and sister (who are both great cooks), and a wonderful low-carb cookbook my sister gave me, I have faith that I can vary my food enough to stick with it!

Again, way to go!

~Tami

destro
Tue, Jul-16-02, 14:12
Hi Washbabe,

Major, major, major kudoes and applause to you for kicking the smoking habit. YOU RULE! If you can do that, I really believe that you have the determination to work on this Way of Eating and to succeed.

I am still new; I started on June 25th. I have a slow time learning so I just started out by counting my carbs, getting to know the carbs and their grams, learning a bit about the scientific foundation behind the diets here, and also keeping track of my weight.

It helped a lot that I got started on a journal too, since that helps me to keep track of things.

It's great to have you here! I would say that you are definitely in the right place for all kinds of information and support.

Natalie

RawSienna
Tue, Jul-16-02, 14:24
Hello and Welcome!
The site is a little hard to get used to...but once you are used to it, you won't have any troubles moving around....

To start a journal...go to Newbies Questions....its the very first thread at the top....it will point you in the right directions.

From there....I might suggest viewing and posting in the journals of the people that inspire and/or intrique you....soon you will have visitors in your journal...which will help immensely!

Hang in there....one day at a time...one step at a time!

And WAY TO GO re the smoking. My Mom passed away 3 years ago...lung cancer from smoking since she was 14 years old! Quitting is a HUGE success!!! Like you said...onto the next challenge!!!

penelope
Tue, Jul-16-02, 18:07
Welcome Washbabe!
I was sitting on the lawn smoking and wondering why my potatos are bolting ,wondering when I should stop smoking ,I came back in to your post, it has to be a sign. :)