PDA

View Full Version : This is like being lost in the wilderness...

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums

Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

beccacat
Fri, Jul-12-02, 11:27
... and I'm not exactly what you would call an 'outdoors' kind of person...

Hi everyone,

My name is Rebecca and I'm so glad to have found your site. I have just started Atkins and I'm not sure if I've got it right. So far, this kind of feels like I am wandering around not quite knowing what I am doing and if it's going to help.

As a newbie with a tendency to be awfully loquacious, I have a few questions. Please, be patient with me. I'm open to any and all tips, even if it's just a URL to check out. Of course, the more I read, the more confused I become... but anyway...

First question: how often does everyone weigh themselves to get an accurate idea what's happening? I did the doctor's visit & blood work thing to see where I started from, and then I began on July 1st. But on this forum I put my start date down as actually being July 8th, because I think I did some things wrong the first week. I know your weight can fluctuate a bit day to day, so is there a good schedule? Every 3rd day? Once a week? Every other day? I've read I shouldn't get too hung up on the scale thing, but I haven't noticed any physical differences in how I look yet, so I wouldn't be averse to some scientific reinforcement. In an effort to get some, I weighed myself for the first time on the 6th, and according to my scale, had only lost one pound since my doctor's visit. However, never having owned a scale before, I don't know how accurate mine is or how it compares to my physician's or how much I can expect it to vary on any given day. So I really don't know, did I lose? gain? stay the same?

This was driving my crazy all weekend, so I finally decided that I would just use that weight as my starting weight, as it's on a scale that I will use over and over again, so whether or not it matches my physician's scale, at least it will always match itself (does that make sense?) However, I don't want to go through the same thing all over again the next time I weigh myself, which I have been avoiding since then. So any advice about this whole scheduling of the scale would be great.

Second, for other women out there, have you found that where you are in your cycle has an affect on how your weight loss happens? My cycle is irregular (oh, how my boyfriend loves that... ) so I only ever have an approximate idea about where I am in it, and some months my PMS lasts longer than others. I know when I'm PMS, I just need to know if this will slow me down, weightwise.

Lastly, I am wondering if the amount of weight you want/need to lose makes a difference in how fast your body takes it off?

(And why I can't get this whole message to turn out purple, like I want...)

Thanks in advance,

rebecca

Kristine
Fri, Jul-12-02, 12:17
Hi Rebecca!

Don't worry - it'll get easier. It's a big change!

Here's a poll and discussion we've been had about <a href="http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?s=&threadid=48669"> how often people weigh.</a>

Re cycles: there are also lots of threads on the fact that we gals tend to notice a big improvement in PMS and cycle irregularity once low-carbing. Hopefully, you will too! Check the "general low carb" section.

Your third question: yes, the closer you get to your goal weight, the harder it is to lose. This is mainly because your metabolism goes down slightly as your body weight does: there's less of you to maintain!

Good luck! :)

destro
Fri, Jul-12-02, 23:36
Hi Rebecca,

I am a very loquacious person myself but I can answer most of your questions with a terse: "your mileage may vary."

Sorry! I don't mean to sound dismissive. I know that there are people who weigh themselves all different times.

I started the LC WOE (way of eating) on June 25th and to tell you the truth, I have not yet finished all the books I have: Atkins, Schwarzbein, Eades, Heller, Bernstein! I am the kind of person who plunges into things before I really find out what I am doing.

I think that you might benefit from a journal and a journal buddy who is more experienced who can point out advice to you if you seem to be going wrong. But you sound very determined and caring.

Oh, and I have never been able to make the colours work here, although I have started to master the art of attaching images: to wit:

Good luck and please come back and keep on posting,

Natalie

Rosebud
Sat, Jul-13-02, 15:50
Hi Rebecca, and welcome!

No need to feel lost in the wilderness, you're doing just fine!

If you are looking for tips, we have plenty here. First of all, check out Low Carb Tips on the orange bar at the top of the screen - there are also lots of other useful bits and pieces up there.
Another wonderful source of info is the Hot Links "sticky" at the top of the Newbies Questions forum.

As for the colour thing, I'm secretly glad you didn't post the whole thing in purple! :D Makes it very hard to read.

But to use the colour thingie, just hit the arrow beside the "colour" box, scroll down to choose your colour, and once you have clicked on it, a little box will come up. Just write in the box whatever you want, then press enter.
Or to do it backwards, highlight whatever you want coloured, go to your colour of choice etc.

Cheers, Rebecca!

:rose:Rosebud:rose:

razzle
Sat, Jul-13-02, 17:07
hmm, I'm not sure! ;)

Without the spaces, before what you want in purple, you write "[ COLOR equalsign purple ]" and after, " [ slash COLOR ]
I just wanted to add my welcome. Nice to have you aboard.