PDA

View Full Version : Are you over 50, menopausal, AND losing weight on SP????

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums

Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

sweetiepie
Thu, Jul-11-02, 19:24
PLEASE let me know if you are. I am also on HRT (prempro, yes I know :( , am dealing with extreme stress (death of a child and husband with cancer), and need every ounce of energy and strength I can get. And I need to be healthy as possible too. We cannot afford anymore stress in this family. I am suspecting that most of the folks on here who have been successful are under 50. I hope I am wrong. please write and let me know if this works for someone like me. Thanks! HUGS,

Suni
Fri, Jul-12-02, 10:39
Hi:

I am 55 and yes, I'm loosing weight on TSP diet. I too am on HRT - I take a 100% natural one called C.E.S. (made from wild yam root and soy) - works for me and for a few friends that take it also (not side effects - no chemicals). I also take a 100% natural progesteron too (not supposed to take estrogen without taking progesteron) - it is called Prometrium. I have been on TSP for about a month after being on low-fat for numerous years. I have to admit I was skeptial about eating all this good food yet being able to loose weight. I weigh myself every Wednesday and in two weeks I was down 1.8 lbs. - I eat eggs almost every morning and one slice of whole-grain toast with butter, 4 oz. of tomato juice and a cup of herbal or decaf tea with a few drops of Stevia. About the only change we (hubby and I) have made in our diet is: (1) we have given up sugar completely and (2) he had to give up white and/or refined flour. When we want a dessert we have berries (in season) with a mound of whipping cream on top (sweetened with a few drops of Stevia and about a 1/2 tsp. of pure vanilla) - really yummy. We've also cut our portions of rice and potatoes to what is suggested in the book.
I work out three times a week during my lunch hour doing step aerobics and weights - hubby does little or no physical exercise and he's lost fat too - had to tighten up his belt to keep his pants on.
I am very sorry to hear about the death of your child and that your husband is ill. I find that working out and getting to some kind or gym or class is a very positive way of relieving stress.
I didn't think I would ever loose weight during menopause and on the low-fat diet it was almost impossible unless I almost starved myself and then I was hungry all the time and obsessed with food and had all these cravings - I don't on this program - I can't believe it but it does work. I am now 3 lbs. from my goal weight! YEAH!
Good luck - (((HUGS))) - Suni :wave:

sweetiepie
Fri, Jul-12-02, 11:52
thank you Suni!!! You have given me much HOPE! After only 3 days of very imperfect SP, I am feeling soooooo much better. I have not weighed myself, and don't intend too as I get compulsive about things like that. I am going to go by clothes size and measurements instead. (Well actually I do know what my start weight is as I just went to the Dr. a week ago.) But truthfully my weight is not as important as being healthier and feeling better. I have also been exercising alot this week, BECAUSE I WANT TOO!! Now that is a miracle too. So all in all, yes it is working, and although I am struggling (in my head) with all the fat, I will continue to give it a try for one month, and then adjust from there if I need too.

I am so glad to see someone out there in their 50's that it is working for. Also, if you are willing, I would love to get more info from you on the natural approach you are using for HRT. That is what I originally wanted to do, but couldn't seem to find what I needed, and the symptoms got so bad, I decided to try anything! It has helped trmendously, but of course, I struggle with putting artificial chemicals in my body for the long run.

Thank you too for your kind response to the loss of my child. It has been beyond devastating, but I am slowly getting stronger. And my husband is currently in remission, so we are hopeful there too. Thanks again Suni for reaching out! HUGS,

judy130
Mon, Jul-15-02, 03:26
Suni:
I am 51 and, although I haven't started the menopause, I am interested in the natural method you use for when I do. This month, for the first time, I have missed a period which is normally very regular (7th of each month to the day!).

I would like to avoid taking HRT if possible so hopefully I will be able to purchase the natural stuff here.

Sweetiepie:
I feel for you very deeply - I too lost a sister who was 23 who was a passenger in a drunken driver's car. She was full of life, a teacher, and very popular. I felt at the time (I was 13, so it was many years ago) that I should have been the one to go, as my parents were devastated by their loss.

Good luck with your WOE, both of you. I seem to have plateaued big time, but it doesn't worry me too much (well, only now and again!!) as I know I am so much healthier than I used to be.

Judy

Suni
Tue, Jul-16-02, 15:55
HI: This is the website I got most of my information about "natural" HRT - http://www.icncanada.com/hrt/index.html
and I have two friends who also take C.E.S. Dr. Christine Northrup, who coincidentially praised TSP on the front cover, wrote The Wisdom of Meopause and Women's Bodies, Women's Wisdom. Dr. Northrup was on a PBS program and one of the things she said was that our bodies can metabolize "natural estrogen's" whereas it can't the "chemcial estrogens". On this website is a chart where it tells which are natural and which are chemical. I also take a natural progesterone too - it is called "Prometrium" - I had to take this information to my doctor because he was ready to prescribe "Premarin" and I wouldn't accept it. C.E.S. comes in different strenghts - I have NO side effects, it controls the hot flashes, sleeplessness and mood swings and I couldn't be happier with the results. Because it is natural I am not chemically forced to menstrate every month. Can't remember the last time I had a period and I don't miss them. My sister takes Premarim and has heavy periods every month and she's over 60! I encourage you to check out the website and gain as much information as you can. Dr. Northrup's books are available in most libraries if you want to read what she said about taking natural estrogen too.
Hope this helps.

sweetiepie
Tue, Jul-16-02, 17:40
I could not be more thrilled with this information! THANK YOU!!!!

I am on Prempro right now and although it takes care of things quite well, I still have periods........aaarrggghhh! In fact I am on the second one this month and I had not had any before I started using it for over 6 months. So needless to say I am highly motivated, and especially with the recent press. I will be going into the dr. next month. THANK YOU sooo very much for being soo helpful. I was really dreading the *research* process and wondering how many more things I would have to try before I found something that worked AND was safe too. Now I feel hopeful.

Yes I am familiar with Christianne Northrup and have seen her on Oprah etc. I will indeed pick up her book. I feel hopeful that my life is going to be better with ALL of this (the HRT and SP) HUGS, Diane

judy130
Wed, Jul-17-02, 02:51
Thanks, Suni. I will check this out for when I need it. I'm not sure when you can start taking it, i.e. what symptoms begin first etc. I need to start reading up about it.

This is just the info I knew I needed but didn't know who to ask! You have to be lucky to find a doctor who understands and knows his/her stuff.

Judy

judy130
Wed, Jul-17-02, 05:47
I've had a look at the site and it is very interesting. It led me to:

http://www.menopause.org/alternatives_hrt.html

which also has quite a bit of info.

carberrys
Wed, Jul-17-02, 20:30
I'm 61 and just starting the SP (2nd day). Major stress in my life right now, including being scared about Prempro which I've been on for about 9 years. Appt w/dr. next month.

Good thoughts to you and your husband....