PDA

View Full Version : Protein and Fat limits (together and alone)

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums

Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

jen10
Thu, Jul-11-02, 14:02
I'm new to SP and I had a few questions for some of you experienced SP'ers. First of, when should I begin to see the pounds come off. I know I can't expect to lose 10 lbs overnight, but I worry that with eating the fat - - that this diet, somehow, some way, may not work for me and and I'll gain weight.

I'm eating fats from peanut butter, sour cream, olive oil, etc - just a little unclear of how much fat to use (don't yet have the book - looked today at Meijer, but wasn't there).

So for now, I don't find much in the way of saying how much is too much for fats and protein (even non-starchy veggies). Is it correct that I could eat 2 pieces of chicken, 2 cups of raw carrots, use olive oil for cooking, and then just keep 15 grams of carbs from, say strawberries? Also, if that's the case, what would be the rule for the snack - where I'm allowed 15 grams.

I guess I'm just having a hard time grasping that I only need to concern myself with those 15 carbs per meal/snack.

I may answer my own question with limiting my calores to 10 - 13 x my body weight. Let me know if I have.

Also, what is the limit of protein where it will actually work as a fat and a protein. Say in cheese, sour cream or peanut butter. Is it wise to count those groups at both the protein and the fat - - or should I include an extra lean protein.

Thanks for all your help and support - in advance.

lisaf
Mon, Jul-15-02, 08:01
Hi Jen -

Definitely get the book...a lot of your questions will be answered there...

In the meantime...ONLY concern yourself with counting carbs. Once you've figured out how to eat that way, then you can start tweaking other macronutrients like protein and fat. I guess what I'm suggesting is set a time limit...like 2-4 weeks and do SP exactly as she describes it in the book. In other words...have 6 pieces of chicken and 12 cups of broccoli if you want...but only a 1/4 cup of brown rice.

As for weight loss...you don't have a lot to lose so it may be very slow. Also, it is possible that with her plan your weight will not change signficantly, particularly if you have yo-yo-d in the past. One of the main points of SP is that your body will settle at a weight that is ideal for you...and this doesn't necessarily reflect the ideal weight that you've decided on in your mind.

Best of luck to you and congratulations on choosing a great plan!

Lisa