PDA

View Full Version : Will this help me?

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums

Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

KoftheWest
Wed, Jul-10-02, 14:58
Hi there! I'm a type I diabetic taking a tremendous amount of insulin. Currently, I take 23 units of Ultralente in the morning and 15 at bedtime. I also correct with 1 unit of humalog for every 25 points over 100, and my insulin-to-carb ration is 1:3 in the morning and 1:5 the rest of the day. I need to get those insulin dosages down, and I need to lose about 25-30 pounds. I feel like I'm trapped in the insulin/difficult weight loss or weight gain world.

Has anyone in a similar position tried Dr. Bernstein's program and found it to work? Also, what do you do about exercise so you don't go low? I love to be active, but I've found I wind up needing so much juice or whatever to correct my exercise lows, that it's almost not worth it.

Lisa N
Sun, Jul-14-02, 11:38
K of the West...

I'd really recommend that you purchase Dr. Bernstein's book and give it a good read. Dr. Bernstein is a type 1 diabetic himself and has used low carb to decrease his blood sugars, reverse diabetic complications and decrease his insulin dosages himself for decades. He also gives very good advice regarding how to handle excercise, hypoglycemia and "sick days". A word of caution, though....don't do this without your doctor's close supervision. Insulin dependent diabetics especially need to work closely with their doctors as their insulin requirements will most certainly change and need to be adjusted. I'm a type 2 diabetic and have completely gotten off my medications using this plan..it's wonderful!

tofi
Thu, Aug-29-02, 08:00
Here's Dr. Richard KBernstein's website. It has lots of preliminary information available. That might help you decide what to do.
http://www.diabetes-normalsugars.com/

Look near the bottom of the page - it says that ' Full chapters from the book are included on this site!'

:wave: