PDA

View Full Version : meal versus oil

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums

Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

penelope
Tue, Jul-09-02, 22:59
Every day for breakfast I have 1/8 cup flax meal whit 1/8 cup wheat bran as a porridge I also have a protein drink sweetened with stevia wich gives me 22 grams of protein. I add one teaspoon of psyllium .What does the flax meal equal to in oil form as far as nutrients Is this a healthy PP breakfast?My stomach is very sore in the morning because of Naproxen.This meal soothe my stomach first thing in the morning. :q:

doreen T
Thu, Jul-11-02, 07:22
hi penelope,

3 Tbsp (roughly one oz/ 30g) of ground flax seeds has 12.6g fat .. which is equivalent to 1 Tbsp of fresh flax oil. Do not cook or microwave the flax meal ... prolonged exposure to high heat will destroy the fragile fatty acids. Instead, heat the water to not-quite boiling, then add the meal to that, stirring quickly. It'll thicken up nicely.

As for being a healthy PP breakfast ... yes, as long as you're having the protein drink or some other source of protein such as eggs, cheese or meat. As well ... depending on what Phase of PP you're following, you need to make sure you're getting the proper carb allotment for breakfast, which would be 7 - 10g ECC for Phase 1. 3 Tbsp flax meal provides 1.8g ECC ... the protein shake mixes usually have 2 or 3g per serving. You could add a little plain full fat yogurt, or 6 strawberries blended into the shake or sliced on top of the porridge.

Happy low-carbing :)

Doreen